Keeping fox or cat away

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jennerchick, Oct 8, 2014.

1. jennerchick

jennerchick New Egg

Oct 8, 2014
    My six chickens had run of my one acre, high fenced orchard and love free ranging all day. In the last week, something has gotten 2 of my chickens during the afternoon, broad daylight and dragged them UNDER the fence. I suspect either a cat or a fox. My chickens are miserable being locked up in coop all day, even though its 300 square feet. Any ideas of how to keep them away during day time?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Sorry for the circumstances. Take a day off and wait with a loaded shotgun or place a snare where the predator is entering/exiting your run.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    So sorry about your flock. Yes, you need to hang around and figure out what is doing this. You could do a live trapping or as Sourland stated, shoot the thing. Hopefully nothing moves in to take it's place.

You can also do supervised free ranging. I can't let my birds out without complete supervision due to all the predators lurking and flying everywhere. I just let them out and work around the yard for an hour while the birds get some exercise. I make several head counts too during this time. If I have more time, I might get them out again later in the day for the same time.

Oh, and welcome to BYC!! [​IMG]

4. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Yep....

S - S - S

Shoot - Shovel - Shut Up

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by