Moving house

I have both free-range chickens on my land that live free-range 24/7 and a den of foxes. The two co-exist perfectly fine. It can most definitely be done

The first thing you need is tough chickens. I would recommend American Gamefowl. Foxes aren't fast or sneaky enough to catch them, and I've even witnessed a mother hen attack a fox before and punk it out

LGD and fences also help but aren't essential. I had my flock for over a year here without either
Will white Leghorn do?, we live in Ireland

I have both free-range chickens on my land that live free-range 24/7 and a den of foxes. The two co-exist perfectly fine. It can most definitely be done

The first thing you need is tough chickens. I would recommend American Gamefowl. Foxes aren't fast or sneaky enough to catch them, and I've even witnessed a mother hen attack a fox before and punk it out

LGD and fences also help but aren't essential. I had my flock for over a year here without either
I love your chickens! My next flock will be the same!

I would sincerely recommend only chickens that are camoflaged to your environment. Usually white chickens stick out like sore thumbs
Wasn't there someone on here doing kind of a survival of the fittest flock? It seems they had several different breeds free ranging and over the years ended up with a few breeds and crosses that did the best fending for themselves.

Wasn't there someone on here doing kind of a survival of the fittest flock? It seems they had several different breeds free ranging and over the years ended up with a few breeds and crosses that did the best fending for themselves.
You might be thinking of me. I know there's a bunch of people working on survival chickens here but as far as I know I'm the only one that's had a large mixed flock in the woods that's allowed to live and mix how they want. It's only been two years though and I've been experimenting with breeds to some extent

For example I had Egyptian Fayoumi here last year and they did surprisingly terrible. They were the one and only breed to have any predation. I think it was simply due to their color

You might be thinking of me. I know there's a bunch of people working on survival chickens here but as far as I know I'm the only one that's had a large mixed flock in the woods that's allowed to live and mix how they want. It's only been two years though and I've been experimenting with breeds to some extent

For example I had Egyptian Fayoumi here last year and they did surprisingly terrible. They were the one and only breed to have any predation. I think it was simply due to their color
Oh! It very well could be, I am HORROBLE at remembering names :oops: and specifics... I remember things in general terms, it's downright unhelpful.

Silkies are ever broody and not very good layers
This morning from 11 hens. We'll pick up another one or two later today. I figure that's pretty good for the middle of January in Wisconsin.

But, I get it; this is not everyone's cup of tea. For me, it's like @2ndTink said, they're just so adorable! 🥰

1705855636006.png

Back
Top Bottom