Keeping Geese respectable at night

charlindabob

Songster
10 Years
Jan 25, 2009
central Florida
I reckon I inadvertently hijacked somebodys post earlier by posting where I shouldn't have although I assure you it was an honest mistake. I was asking about keeping Emdens reasonably quiet late at night and was asking opinions. I have 2 1/2 acres, all 6' chainlink with barbed wire, that should keep the geese in, but that shouldn't be my problem. I have an eight by twelve foot concrete block building I was thinking about penning them up at night and am actually wondering if that would be a sufficient "muffler" to block out their noise? I want to be a good neighbor, although mine are much less than desireable. Surely I am not the only one that has this dilemma? I had one so-called Embden a couple of years ago and he was quiet except when I came home from work late at night. If I have to hay bale the block building to muffle the noise, I will. I just thought others might have some serious thoughts on this?
I know, "if you want peace and quiet, don't keep geese" or "you must be joking" or "what do you expect from geese". I can hear that from a dear family member without moving from this computer, but I am stubborn.
wink.png
roll.png

Bob

Honestly..i dont know..my geese are quiet at night. Mine are locked in their house at night though....

i lock mine up if I expect any degree of quiet. they are quiet at night, but in the morning if they hear me wandering around or trying to drive off before tending to their needs, or even if I'm on the way to feed them, they raise a holy ruckus, and sometimes hop the 4 foot fence to 'get' me....
roll.png

chickensducks&agoose :

i lock mine up if I expect any degree of quiet. they are quiet at night, but in the morning if they hear me wandering around or trying to drive off before tending to their needs, or even if I'm on the way to feed them, they raise a holy ruckus, and sometimes hop the 4 foot fence to 'get' me....
roll.png

I'm guessing here, but I suppose they can see you in the morning before you get to them right? Mine are to be totally out-of-sight, although they might hear us, but not see us until we open the door.
Bob​

Mine are quiet unless something disturbs them?

They are in an open coop with wire sides, partly for that reason. I WANT to know if anything is out there. As long as nothing threatens them (or unless I walk into the yard at night) I don't hear them at night.

I'd actually be surprised if geese within a closed building could be heard at night, as long as they don't know of anything going on outside of it.

They are quiet when they are locked up. If they see you, they will all go off, but it only lasts a minute or two.

At night I lock mine in a concrete building. I can be in my house with TV on and still hear them honking out in the building. I love my geese!!
big_smile.png

If mine are yelling and screaming at night they're either having some disagreement, or sex, amongst themselves. If they're HISSING there's an intruder. If they're just hollering for the sake of it, if I speak up and say "OK, it's not an emergency guys" etc they quiet right down. Mine aren't penned, they just hang around my trailer at night. I think they like to listen to Coast To Coast like I do.

They ARE loud. The most amazing thing I learned about geese when I got them is that they're 24/7.

do you put your geese in a caged area or shed? My husband and I thought about building them a "hut" but when I first got my pair of saddlebacks i nearly ran myself to death trying to get them back in a large enclosed area. after two days of trying to get them penned, i gave up and just let them wonder about, however now they do tend to follow me around so they might follow me into the chicken run at night. what advice do you have for wintertime - snow and ice? your experience is appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom