Keeping geese with chickens

Faizan Ali

Songster
May 7, 2021
Will a pair of chinese geese ( I don't even know the breed since there are only 1 type of geese found in Pakistan which look like Chinese) live peacefully with 4 chickens in a 70 sqft pen and separate coops? I asked on Facebook and people had mixed thought some said their geese have injured their hens and even killed them and some said its possible.

If the chickens get close enough to my geese, my geese WILL rip a mouthful of feathers out of their skin and go for seconds....
Oh god- that's harsh I originally wanted chickens for eggs and wanted to add geese too as I've always wanted geese but it feels like I should not get geese atleast right now. I'll see wht others have to say.

I have heard a lot of bad news regarding geese that share the same territory with chickens. I own Chinese Geese and know that they can be aggressive. I advise researching the type of chicken breed you want to get since I don't know much about chickens.

I'm about two weeks into keeping all my ducks, geese, and chickens together. So far it's going okay. The ducks and geese did get used to seeing the chickens in a protected run inside their pen for about a month before everyone mixed together. In general, they don't interact, but I'm prepared if they need to be separated. I think the more room they have the better the outcome. Some of my friends totally free range everyone together, and have zero issues, so 70sq ft might be too small.

It may work, or it may not. It's hard to tell, because all of these animals are individuals and individual's behave differently in different environments.
My ducks and geese coexist in the same area and they do very well together. They have a very large pen, I forget how many square footage. I think having more space is always going to be better, (as well as for having places to hide, or get away from) I'm not sure if your amount of space is enough.
That being said, I am always keeping close eye on how the geese/ducks behave so I can nip any problem behavior in the bud and separate them if necessary.

I have heard a lot of bad news regarding geese that share the same territory with chickens. I own Chinese Geese and know that they can be aggressive. I advise researching the type of chicken breed you want to get since I don't know much about chickens.
After some research I have come to the conclusion to NOT get geese instead maybe ducks or more chickens.

I'm about two weeks into keeping all my ducks, geese, and chickens together. So far it's going okay. The ducks and geese did get used to seeing the chickens in a protected run inside their pen for about a month before everyone mixed together. In general, they don't interact, but I'm prepared if they need to be separated. I think the more room they have the better the outcome. Some of my friends totally free range everyone together, and have zero issues, so 70sq ft might be too small.
Hoping and praying that all goes well between ur birdies and u don't need to seperate them. How big is ur pen?

It may work, or it may not. It's hard to tell, because all of these animals are individuals and individual's behave differently in different environments.
My ducks and geese coexist in the same area and they do very well together. They have a very large pen, I forget how many square footage. I think having more space is always going to be better, (as well as for having places to hide, or get away from) I'm not sure if your amount of space is enough.
That being said, I am always keeping close eye on how the geese/ducks behave so I can nip any problem behavior in the bud and separate them if necessary.
True that. For now I guess I'll just enjoy my neighbours geese from a distance it's funny to watch them terrorise everybody passing from the street but nobody complains about them since authorities won't do anything anyway.

Back
Top Bottom