Keeping hawks out

I had hoped so too, then after 2 years, I walked into the run to find a hawk pinning down a chicken, eating her alive. Entire thing is netted now. Since then we've had hawks swoop down within a foot or two and then veer off when they see the netting.

Perfect! That’s the result I’d hope for! Thank you for sharing your experience

We run a few geese, guinea and turkeys with our chickens. Haven't lost any birds sense

I’ve been thinking about geese, but with no surface water and the closest tap at the house 300 feet away, I don’t think there’s a plausible way to give them a consistent clean water source... because I don’t feel like cleaning out a kiddie pool and carrying water up every few days... but turkeys and guineas have always been high on my dream list!

I’ve been thinking about geese, but with no surface water and the closest tap at the house 300 feet away, I don’t think there’s a plausible way to give them a consistent clean water source... because I don’t feel like cleaning out a kiddie pool and carrying water up every few days... but turkeys and guineas have always been high on my dream list!
You can plumb a rubber made stock tank with a drain and fill port.

You can plumb a rubber made stock tank with a drain and fill port.

I’ll look into that. I’m just not really interested in splitting our plumbing up there at the moment. It’s quite a ways through real rocky ground. We’re looking into a rainwater system off the coop, but we’d need to see how much it could even collect before I divert it from the drinking water tank

Geese can live 25 years too. :wee
My goose was born in 2006.

Back
Top Bottom