Keeping humidity up in lockdown

I had much the same thought...that it would create a gap between lid and base.

It's a viable technique theoretically...but it's all in the details.
Wonder what kind of bator she's using.....and what the ambient environment(temp and humidity) is in her incubation room?
I cannot answer these questions but next time I am up on that end of the valley I will stop in and see her.

I have had pretty good success getting my humidity up into the 70's and 80's with a narrow but deep plastic ice cream pint with a standard "note card" sized kitchen sponge in it vertically so that the pint is about 3/4 full of water and 1/4 of the sponge is above the surface. Same logic about wicking the water up from a large reservoir and creating large surface area. Tall enough that the chicks cant get in there and drown.

Oddly enough, there seems to be a sweet spot/tipping point with this method where only filling the pint half way (and exposing more sponge surface to air) seems to LOWER the humidity when compared to filling it 3/4 full and exposing less sponge. Who knows why. It is counter-intuitive. I have played around with various fill levels and 3/4 full seems to be the sweet spot for me.
439BC52F-E1B8-44C6-A786-9022E4679364.jpg

Back
Top Bottom