keeping ID on my cat

Maybe instead of a collar, you could use a harness?

If you neighbors are intentionally trying to take your cat, they could simply take the collar or harness off. Therefore microchipping is the only surefire way of IDing him as yours.

You could always put a tag on the harness, stating that he is microchipped, as well as the usual ID tag.

-Kim

Microchips on cats are rarely checked around here. There are so many stray cats noone bothers to check it until the shelter goes to microchip the cat themselves. The other main problem is that microchips don't really make it that much easier to find the owner. The cat would have to be caught, taken to a vet or shelter, and then the owner called. Most people won't bother. If they find a lost cat without a collar they'll ignore it while if they found a lost cat with a collar they would contact the owners.

Personally I would absolutely never have a cat without a collar on even if it is also microchipped. Even if it's an indoor cat. The one time it slips out it could get lost or grabbed by someone. Collars are perfectly safe on cats so long as they are release collars. The collars are doing what they are suppose to. Popping off when the cat gets caught on something. Some cats though learn how to get the snap release collars off on purpose. Carmel was losing one a month and she wasn't getting caught on stuff. I switched to beastie bands and haven't lost a collar since. These collars do not have a snap. They velcro closed and then they are stretchy. They will easily stretch to slide over the cats head. I've hooked some with a finger while the cat pulled back and they stretched perfectly so her head could duck through. The cat's don't seem to be able to get them off by themselves though.

http://www.beastiebands.com/beastiebands.html

I also put boomerang collar tags on mine:
http://www.boomerangtags.com/store/?A=S&ID=38

I do have a "microchipped" tag on my dog that has her number and the number to call since they will keep lots of information and backup contacts on hand. More info than can be fit on one tag.

Last edited:
Amazing. There is so much information to take in. I will follow up on checking on the beastiebands as well as the information about cancer.

I thank each of you for your support.

Wonderful thing is yesterday the cat never left our sight. I am certain he was somewhere he did not want to be the night before otherwise he would not have been sticking so close to us all day and night.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom