Keeping layer, starter, and grower feeder separate

I brood my chicks in the house until about 5 weeks old - depends on the weather. They then go outside to the "baby barn". It is an enclosure with hardwire all around. The hens can see them, but can't get to them. After about 8 weeks of age, I let them out during the day and prop the door open just enough that they can squeeze in, but the big hens can't fit. There are also a couple of safe areas in the yard where they can avoid the hens that chase them. They usually sleep in the baby barn until about 12-14 wks of age and put themselves in the coop when they are ready.
I have had an angry hen that would chase and peck them unmercifully. That hen had to be rehomed, even though she was a favorite. Generally, while there is some peckage, no blood is drawn and they eventually settle down to being one flock.

I brood my chicks in the house until about 5 weeks old - depends on the weather. They then go outside to the "baby barn". It is an enclosure with hardwire all around. The hens can see them, but can't get to them. After about 8 weeks of age, I let them out during the day and prop the door open just enough that they can squeeze in, but the big hens can't fit. There are also a couple of safe areas in the yard where they can avoid the hens that chase them. They usually sleep in the baby barn until about 12-14 wks of age and put themselves in the coop when they are ready.
I have had an angry hen that would chase and peck them unmercifully. That hen had to be rehomed, even though she was a favorite. Generally, while there is some peckage, no blood is drawn and they eventually settle down to being one flock.
Wow. I'm pretty scared but love this plan! I'm just so nervous. We've already lost one chicken and I'm so worried I won't raise these new babies right and that I made a bad decision to rehome the two we took in.

Wow. I'm pretty scared but love this plan! I'm just so nervous. We've already lost one chicken and I'm so worried I won't raise these new babies right and that I made a bad decision to rehome the two we took in.
Chicken raising adheres to a few hard rules. Other than that, it is pretty forgiving and allows for differences in ways of doing things. I am sure you will do fine. Also, it is a hobby with a learning curve. We all had to start somewhere and learn some hard lessons to get where we are now. Have faith in yourself and go for it.

Chicken raising adheres to a few hard rules. Other than that, it is pretty forgiving and allows for differences in ways of doing things. I am sure you will do fine. Also, it is a hobby with a learning curve. We all had to start somewhere and learn some hard lessons to get where we are now. Have faith in yourself and go for it.
Thank you. I appreciate you and this community!

Back
Top Bottom