Keeping meat cold after meat birds have been processed

juice

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 27, 2008
hastings
Hello, I am having many meat birds processed next week and understand that I need to keep them cold but NOT freeze them until after 24 hours. Well, have any of you used a freezer but used the warmest setting on it for cold setting? My freezer has 0,2,4, temps..or would I be better off keeping them iced in a large ice chest? thanks much. juice

Let me tell you about our experience
sad.png
We butchered them and put them into large coolers filled with ice and cold water. But then I wrapped them and put them straight into the freezer.
roll.png
Now I tell you, I cannot eat a bird with their legs sticking straight out! I somehow missed the part about not freezing them for 24 hours!!
hu.gif
Find a way to keep them cool. Next time I will do the same but after cooling down the birds I will put them in the fridge for 24 hours...but we have an extra fridge in the basement so that will work for us. So don't do what I did!!

I would suggest ice chests.

We have picked up a few "beer fridges" over the years, so I have one in each garage, and in the pantry. Usually under $100 or free on Craigslist.

Ok, thank you for your tips... i will definitely NOT freeze them right away, will wait a day.
have a great day...juice

Well, I have learned that if the meat is not allowed to set(at about 35 degrees,not freezing) for 24 hours then the meat will be tender and the muscle will 'relax'. then they are put in the freezer.
Last batch I brought them from the processor and then put them right in the freezer, they were tougher than I liked ...THEN I learned about letting them be cold but not frozen for the first 2 hours.
good luck.
juice

Gave me a chuckle about the legs sticking straight out. Think of *resting* like tihs; beef is aged, the longer in a cool environment the better. So it is with chicken meat. It's a chemical reaction of the muscle not sure exaclty how it works though. We put them in an ice bath in big coolers for 24 hours, then shrink wrap whole and into the freezer.

Back
Top Bottom