Keeping multiple roosters?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by n8mont4, Mar 18, 2013.

1. n8mont4

n8mont4 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2012
    New York
    Today I picked up some old hens for free from a guy on craigslist. He said he had 5 hens and 2 young roosters. When I got home and took them out of the boxes, i noticed there was 2 adult roosters, 2 young roosters and 3 hens. This isnt a big deal, since they were free. Anyways, is it a good idea to keep all these roosters? They were raised together from chicks. I was thinking about eating one of the adults and then eating the 2 younger roosters when they got older. Should i do this or keep all of them? Will they get along and not torture the hens? I am using the chickens for bug control if that helps. Thanks

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Way too many roosters for 3 hens. Get rid of all but one. Or, keep them separate from your hens.

3. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    In my experience, one rooster is too much for three hens. I had one rooster that grew up with the four hens. They were harried all the time. I got 5 more hens, so there is more to go around, so to speak.

One recommendation that I read was one rooster to ten hens.

Of course, you don't need a rooster to have eggs. I keep mine, because I enjoy watching the dynamics of the flock with the hens and the rooster interacting.

Chris

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Ditto, keep one rooster and get more hens or eat them all. Your girls will thank you for it!

5. well... Dont eat them. Do you have any other hens? If you put all the roosters togeather with NO hens they shouldnt fight. So you could always have a hen coop and a rooster coop!

6. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    If flock is to be confined, one rooster will do fine. If they are free-range then all can be kept although in most instance most of the roosters will be forced to periphery of flock by dominant rooster.

7. jeepgirl13

jeepgirl13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    Arizona
    Tomorrow I am getting two roosters. I've got eleven hens and a pretty big coop. They aren't free ranged all the time but I let them out at least six hrs/3 days a week, usually more. Will I have a problem?

8. darin367

darin367 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2010
    Shelton, Wa.
    it all depends on the space.... like said by centra, if they're free range, no worries... as the space gets smaller the roo count needs to go down also..... i keep 2 roos with 12 hens in a 25x25 run and no probs... 1 roo is the boss and the other 1 is oppurtunistic with the ladies, he gets chased off but no real fighting...

9. jeepgirl13

jeepgirl13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    Arizona
    Ok cool. I was worried about this as the two blue copper Marans I am getting are being given to me under the agreement that they will have a forever home. I would hate to have to tell the lady I had to cull or get rid of one. If anything I will just have to get a few more hens so each roo can have his own ladies. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by