Keeping my chickens alive in arizona summer

Oh my goodness, I didn't realize they were so young they told me four months. Shows how much I know lol. They're big enough to be without a heat lamp right? 😅 Now a whole bunch more worry coming my way
It's not your fault, hoarders aren't know for detailed husbandry. ;) And being accurate about silkies requires gypsy magic.
Yes, they're fine without a lamp at this point, though you may have to change their food to chick feed or flock raiser for more protein.
I feed my chickens flock raiser with oyster shell on the side (no oyster shell until you get eggs ), you could use layer pellets once they're laying but the more protein is better.

It's not your fault, hoarders aren't know for detailed husbandry. ;) And being accurate about silkies requires gypsy magic.
Yes, they're fine without a lamp at this point, though you have to change their food to chick feed or flock raiser.
Ok will do thank you so much

Hi! I'm in Scottsdale, we have had chickens here for a little over 3 years, getting close to four now. A few things that helped us are white tarp coverings, a good evaporative cooler, and a mister stand for the really hot days. I ice our girls' water in the summer and I have some 18 inch planter trays that I fill with water so they can stand in them and cool their feet. I also make sure to give them vitamins twice per week in the summer to help them because they pant more to dissipate heat. On the super hot days, over 115 I put out frozen gallons of water near any fans running and they like to sit close to them to cool off. I don't know if you will have to do what we do, we don't have silkies, who are more heat tolerant. We have big bodied birds, a Delaware and a Buff Orpington among them so they get hot fast. Good luck! Your girls are adorable!

Back
Top Bottom