keeping my chickens in my yard

bunniesgalore

Hatching
5 Years
Jun 3, 2014
I have been wanting to get chickens for a long time now, but I have some obstacles and I can't figure out how to solve them.first off, I have 6 acres but a lot of it is woods and a pond ,how would I keep them from getting lost in the woods? There are a lot of animals in the woods and I don't want them getting eaten ,so id prefer they just stay away from there altogether.Second, I have a neighbor who lives rather close to me , and he is not very nice ,he got mad because we mowed too close to his lawn, so I don't think he would want chickens running around his yard, how would I keep them out of his yard ?I can't put up a fence ,that would be waaay to much money and I can't have them closed in because the whole reason I'm getting them is to help get rid of bugs around the property, not just a 20 Ft area could someone please help?

I don't think your neighbor will be happy regardless of what you choose do - just sounds like a real PITA. I think he will complain about everything.

It does get down to not being able to have your cake and eat it too. If your chickens are not fenced in they will be in your neighbors yard, they will also be welcome meals to predators. Chickens probably would get lost on 20 acres, I know I would.

IF you had good neighbors you could probably work something out. Chickens generally don't wander far from home but, without fencing they would see no reason not to visit your neighbors land.

you could put up moveable wire fencing, which is not that expensive and put it in different places over the week - so they could eat the bugs in a variety of settings. If you are lucky and they don't fly out - this could be a solution for you.

Maybe others will have better ideas but, you don't give us much to work with - if you can't fence them in.

Yup, you can't stop them from going where they want without a fence. If you turn them loose in the woods, they will come back to the coop at night, if you keep food and water there and they have learned it is home.
But they will also go in your neighbor's yard if there is no fence to stop them. And you are right, you will lose chickens to predators in the woods.

Perhaps you can keep your eye out for a sale on a sturdy fencing material and put up a generous yard for them.

images

Welcome to BYC!

Yes, the only way to keep them in your yard is a tall fence or a run. You might check your local craigslist for used materials. You can also chat with your chicken neighbors in your state thread in hopes that maybe someone nearby has something you can reuse...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

Good luck with this new adventure you are on and welcome to our flock!

Back
Top Bottom