Keeping My Chickens Safe from My Dog?

Its gonna take a lot of dedicated training. I know for me, my very high prey driven husky mix isn't worth it. She's crafty and will behave around chickens as long as your within sight... but the minute she thinks you can't see her, she'll grab a chicken. My ex had free range around his place and she wouldn't even look at them if you were standing right there. One could walk up to her even, but the there was one time we were all in the barn and she grabbed one by the head. Thankfully I caught on before she did any damage, but now that I've got chicks, I'm not even giving her the opportunity to be near them. I'm hoping my terrier will do better.
Sounds like you are describing my German Shepherd.

I have a 12 lb Manchester terrier mix, she chases & barks at about anything, even deer. Is it possible to train her to live in harmony with the chickens (5 Barred Rocks)? Or will I just have to keep her from having any contact with the chickens? At this point, she's only had visual contact from outside the screened brooder.

Get a electronic collar and when she goes for your chickens give her a jolt. After a few times she won't want anything to do with them. It works believe me.

it all depends on the dog... my dog has a very high prey drive, and she does exactly as she has been trained when there's people around. If you aren't in sight, any chicken that wanders into her area is free game. I've accepted it as a part of her nature and her instincts... and keep her separated from the chickens.

Back
Top Bottom