Keeping my hens safe from the freezing cold?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Sandbellie, Dec 24, 2010.

1. Sandbellie

Sandbellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Hi. I have 6 hens, three of them are under 6 months and the other three are 1 year or older. They have a pretty warm house it seems, but I'm wondering if theres another way that I can keep them extra warm during the winters cold weather. Besides using just hay. They stay in their house all day, and only come out to eat and peck around for 5-10min, then they go back in. Is there a way that I can insulate the outdoor pen with some sort of plastic? Maybe the stuff they use for greenhouses?

Thanks. [​IMG]

2. Muscovies

Muscovies Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes you can do that just don't cover up all the sides of the pen leave one side open a little so air can come in and out.

Hope this help you
    Merry Christmas

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

You can buy rolls of 6 mil plastic (I think this is the "thick" one) at Home Depot- clear plastic. Or you can use tarps.

I LOVE canvas tarps myself- because they don't shred like regular tarps. My chickens EAT regular tarps. [​IMG]

Sometimes I make a windbreak for them using a sawhorse and a big canvas tarp. They can get out of the rain too.

4. Sandbellie

Sandbellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Sounds good, thanks! [​IMG]

5. KenLamWV

KenLamWV Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Bridgeport, WV
    I just created a BYC page of my winterizing my coop. Check it out for ideas.

6. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Tarp works great. Also, if you have a hardware cloth run with wood, you could insert a heat lamp if it's really worth it.

7. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Just don't make it so airtight that there is no ventilation, if moisture builds up you're more likely to get frostbitten combs than if they are in dry cold. BTW, if they're happy they way they are now, why change?

8. squiqwe

squiqwe Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2010
    Cortland,Ohio
    i would only be cocerned about draft. They acclumate pretty well as long as it isn't drafty. I built my run out of privacy fence which cuts down the wind dramatically. Still I only let them out on days that the outside temp isn't to low. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  9. lisababes

lisababes Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2010
    Madison, WI
    I built a wind break around the N and W sides of my run out of snow! I figured it was there, and free [​IMG] seems to be working so far - they are hanging around out there down to 5*F.

10. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    chickens do well with cold weather. Be carefull adding artificial heat if they go out or you loose power you will have big problems as when you add heat you take away their ability to adjust to the cold gradually. if the power goes out and it gets cold you can loose the entire flock

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by