Keeping my rooster friendly.

Also...Roosters are programmed to climb to the top and be leader. Its just the way they are designed, unlike hens that are more gentle and affectionate. Roosters see you as one of the flock and don't see the problem with keeping you in your place beneath them. You never want to turn your back on them, give them the opportunity to take advantage of you and never truly trust them. Care for them and be kind to them but understand them from their point of view. They think they have a job to do, keep the flock safe and happy, so it's your job to make sure your boy understands that you are in control and that you will always be above him. Some young boys see coddling them as your vulnerability, so it's best not to be too lovey dovey with the boys. Act indifferent around them.
Very well put!

I have a rooster named Pepper that I never intended to be the little cuddle bug he is now, and he is almost 6 years old. He came in a group of easter egger chicks that I order that were all supposed to be hens. I hand-raised and coddled them all until I noticed that he was actually a rooster. I left him alone and ignored him from there on out and when he was fully mature and completely out of his adolescent years, I approached him again, and now he lets me hold him whenever and actually enjoys the attention (as long as the girls aren't watching "Mom you're embarrassing me" :lau). I tried the same trick on another rooster and it worked. So maybe hold him and coddle him a little until he is around a month or 2 old, or when he starts getting cocky (pun unintended). Then just ignore him until he is no longer an impulsive teenager.
Some boys are just sweet as honey! You have a wonderful boy there. 💖

We got a Buff Cochin as the Surprise in an order. Was a friendly bird until the wheels fell off. Would actually attack people slamming into the run fencing. Grandson was just 2-3 at the time. Number 6 bird shot made him friendly again. I don't waste a minute with aggressive roosters.

Back
Top Bottom