Keeping my rooster friendly.

LLR

In the Brooder
Mar 12, 2023
Michigan
Hi everyone,

I have a Lavender Orpington rooster (I think) who I am trying to keep friendly. He currently comes up to me when I bring food and refill the water for our flock. He also rides around on my arm from time to time and eats out of my hand. Are there things I should be doing to encourage his behavior to prevent him from becoming aggressive?

Attached is said rooster.

Attachments

• IMG_1957.jpg
    IMG_1957.jpg
    561.2 KB · Views: 20
Yes you definitely need to start early and establish your ranking. Treating him as you are may open the door from him to at some point challenge you. So you need to set boundaries now. Offer him treats after the others get theirs, don't let him on your lap, walk right past him like you are ignoring him, just distance yourself a bit. There is no guarantee he will go bad but it's less likely if you establish your higher order now rather than later. He is cute!

I will keep this in mind. Did you have roosters that started off aggressive become more friendly as they've matured?
I haven’t had any start off aggressive. Those hormones get going around 5-6 months and gets all that going. Mr Friendly turns to Mr Turdhead. He wants to let you know he’s the man! The ones that are always stand-offish tend to be the good rooster. They’re just not your pal.

Stop doing all that stuff. Create some distance between you and the rooster. The ones that I’ve had that wanted to be my buddy turned out aggressive as they matured. Obviously that’s not 100%, but it’s a good rule to have and people generally don’t like it. Works for me.
This is true, but I found that this is most necessary when the hormones kick in.

Also...Roosters are programmed to climb to the top and be leader. Its just the way they are designed, unlike hens that are more gentle and affectionate. Roosters see you as one of the flock and don't see the problem with keeping you in your place beneath them. You never want to turn your back on them, give them the opportunity to take advantage of you and never truly trust them. Care for them and be kind to them but understand them from their point of view. They think they have a job to do, keep the flock safe and happy, so it's your job to make sure your boy understands that you are in control and that you will always be above him. Some young boys see coddling them as your vulnerability, so it's best not to be too lovey dovey with the boys. Act indifferent around them.

Also...Roosters are programmed to climb to the top and be leader. Its just the way they are designed, unlike hens that are more gentle and affectionate. Roosters see you as one of the flock and don't see the problem with keeping you in your place beneath them. You never want to turn your back on them, give them the opportunity to take advantage of you and never truly trust them. Care for them and be kind to them but understand them from their point of view. They think they have a job to do, keep the flock safe and happy, so it's your job to make sure your boy understands that you are in control and that you will always be above him. Some young boys see coddling them as your vulnerability, so it's best not to be too lovey dovey with the boys. Act indifferent around them.
Very well put!

I have a rooster named Pepper that I never intended to be the little cuddle bug he is now, and he is almost 6 years old. He came in a group of easter egger chicks that I order that were all supposed to be hens. I hand-raised and coddled them all until I noticed that he was actually a rooster. I left him alone and ignored him from there on out and when he was fully mature and completely out of his adolescent years, I approached him again, and now he lets me hold him whenever and actually enjoys the attention (as long as the girls aren't watching "Mom you're embarrassing me" :lau). I tried the same trick on another rooster and it worked. So maybe hold him and coddle him a little until he is around a month or 2 old, or when he starts getting cocky (pun unintended). Then just ignore him until he is no longer an impulsive teenager.

Back
Top Bottom