Keeping Nesting Box clean?

One of my two EE hens always poops, and then lays her egg on it. Disgusting, but that's just her. It's been two years now, and she hasn't changed her behavior. It's a good thing that she's really cute!
Mary
I have two of those.....2-way door must be broken :lol: so poop comes out along with the egg. Not sure which birds, one lays huge eggs(which may be part of the problem).

I have two of those.....2-way door must be broken :lol: so poop comes out along with the egg. Not sure which birds, one lays huge eggs(which may be part of the problem).

I've had a few of those over the years. I never figured out which one was doing it. If I could I'd make sure none of her eggs ever hatched. I don't know if it is genetic or not but I would not take that chance.

I wash those eggs and put them in the fridge for me to eat myself.

Only sand, or is the sand covered with a layer of straw? I like the idea of being able to sift through the sand to clean the boxes, but I would've thought the chickens would want to peck at it as they do grit or gravel. ???? (I'm a newbie, so I'm questioning this because I've never heard of using sand.)
Yup, just sand. They do pick at it a bit but it shouldn't harm them, i use constriction sand so there are some little rocks and it's more gritty then something like playsand. I used to use it in my coop floor as well and it worked wonders, i didn't have time to sift it regularly though during the school year so I'm temporarily using shavings again.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/using-sand-in-your-chicken-coop.47795/

How do I keep the nesting box clean
I have 68 trips around the sun for decades I have been raising chickens
For years I have been lining my nest boxes with the folded empty nylon mesh feed bags
When a bag gets soiled pop out the soiled and pop in another. Poop just peels off in below freezing temperatures and just flakes off when left out in the sun to bake and dry. It is the best method I have stumbled upon in my 68 trips around the sun.

Oh! Remove the excess string from the open end of the bag it can get tangled in your birds legs and wings.

I have gone with a wire 2" grid (wire the size of a pencil) over my coop floor. Similar to what is pictured below with 4"x4"x4" cubed blocks stationed under neath the grid on top of a tarp to form a drop pit it worked excellent all summer and I will clean the coop before winter sets in and things freeze solid. The grid even keeps you chickens feet cleaner which in turn keeps your eggs and nest boxes less soiled. I live in Canada and am subject to -40º temperatures.
grid-floor-jpg.1182877
Clean up is simple replace the tarp with a second one. Spread the first tarp out in the sun to bake and dry. Then flex the first tarp over the compost bin and hose off any stubborn chicken poop.

Easy Peasy Japanesy

Hello friend ,
68 times around ? I’ve only been 49 times and I’m exhausted ,

You’ve figured out what works for you and that’s great , as I’m sure you know what used to be a way to feed the family ( chickens ) has become a pet for many . People today spend way more time and money caring for their birds , times change .

I’ll warn you now you are going to get beaten up about your wire floors .... be prepared , I’ve never seen them but apparently they are hard on their feet .

Winters coming , time to cut firewood.

I’ll warn you now you are going to get beaten up about your wire floors ....
Yes one thing I learned no matter what opinion you have there are always someone to find fault with it that is what we humans do best. The only time they are on the wire floor is just to eat. They can seek relief from the wire in other areas of my 3 tiered coop.

You can get beaten up for posting almost anything on this forum, someone will not like it. That wire is the size of a pencil, it will not hurt feet at all. It looks really smooth.

One possible issue with smaller wire is that some wire can have sharp little nubs on it from the manufacturing process, either from welding or galvanizing. If present those can cut a bird's foot. Not all wire has them but if they are present, they will be on one side. If you install that wire with the sharp nubs down it will not hurt the birds' feet. Carefully wipe your hand on one side to check. There can be concerns with wire but they are easily mitigated.

My brooder in the coop has a wire floor with bins underneath to catch the poop, keeps the brooder really dry and clean-up is about a easy as it can get. Even spilled water is not a problem. My grow-out coop is elevated with a wire floor but my main coop is dirt with bedding. If someone used wire that was installed incorrectly I can see why they would be concerned, it can damage feet, but I just don't have that issue.

Hello friend ,
68 times around ? I’ve only been 49 times and I’m exhausted ,

You’ve figured out what works for you and that’s great , as I’m sure you know what used to be a way to feed the family ( chickens ) has become a pet for many . People today spend way more time and money caring for their birds , times change .

I’ll warn you now you are going to get beaten up about your wire floors .... be prepared , I’ve never seen them but apparently they are hard on their feet .

Winters coming , time to cut firewood.
hello nice chickens

Back
Top Bottom