Keeping new layers 'cooped' up

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by CKNNWBEE, Feb 25, 2013.

1. CKNNWBEE

CKNNWBEE Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2012
    Our girls just started to lay. One lays at 8 am, one lays at 2 pm. Do we keep all of them in the coop all day? Can they go to their exercise pen, and do I make another nesting box there for the 2pm girl and the others that might want to lay? Is it confusing to them to have two nesting boxes?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I think you'll find they return to the coop on their own to lay -- unless you mean the coop and pen are separated so they can't move freely between them. If that's the case, then I'd put another nest in the pen. The times will gradually change. The norm is they lay once every 25 hours.

3. skyblu

skyblu Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2013
    Devon, UK
    chances are that your hens won't always lay at the same time of day anyway, so it's best, if possible, just to let them out in the morning but allowing them access back into their coop to lay their eggs at any time they want. Mine free range from 8 every morning and live in 3 separate coops - but each hen goes back to her own sleeping quarters to lay each day. Does your coop open into their run?

4. CKNNWBEE

CKNNWBEE Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2012
    That's where my confusion is. They are two separate places. Not near each other.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by