Keeping other birds with quail

CurlyQuail

Songster
Jun 20, 2020
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Main questions:
-Can finches/budgies live with quail in an aviary?
-if not are there any other birds that can?

I’ve seen some people keeping doves with quail and I was wondering if there’s any other birds that could go with quail. Just got a raise 🥳 and with my newfound money I’m giving my covey of pet quail an upgrade (I’m thinking a 10ftx10ft aviary instead of their current flight cage) and at the same time I’m looking into other pets (particularly budgies or finches) so I’m wondering if they could live together and if there’s any special precautions that would need to be taken.

What kind of quail? Finches are safe to have with quail. So are canaries and doves. Cockatiels will also work. Budgies may or may not work-Female budgies can be very aggressive to other birds, but more so to perching birds than quail. I have seen budgies attack doves and have had ring neck doves killed by the much smaller budgies. I would not keep budgies in a mixed aviary.

What kind of quail? Finches are safe to have with quail. So are canaries and doves. Cockatiels will also work. Budgies may or may not work-Female budgies can be very aggressive to other birds, but more so to perching birds than quail. I have seen budgies attack doves and have had ring neck doves killed by the much smaller budgies. I would not keep budgies in a mixed aviary.
Coturnix, 6 hens and one rooster if that makes a difference. Thanks for the information!

Coturnix, 6 hens and one rooster if that makes a difference. Thanks for the information!
I’m wondering about the food, perching birds are messy and will knock food down to the quail, I think most finch type food would be like junk food for quail, and the small amount probably won’t hurt them, but I would be concerned that the quail food is probably not great for the finches etc, but I don’t really know much about any of that, just tossing things out there for you to consider.

Quail will live very happily with many other kinds of birds that don't live on the ground like the quail so long as they are housed in an aviary, not a cage (not enough room in a cage for birds to stay away from each other).

I have kept them with many bird species in an aviary setting. Provide the quails with lots of cover and hiding places, plants, grass, etc

The most successful with no problems were the following species.

Canaries
All kinds of finches
Ring neck and Diamond Doves
Small 'softbill' song birds
Cockatiels
Grass parakeets, eg,splendid parakeets, turquoisine parakeets
Pekin Robins

I have also kept them with the following species, but there were minor problems with compatablity.

Budgies (parakeets).......... a couple of budgies from the flock decided it was fun to land on the back of the Japanese Quails and ride them around like a horse. While it was funny to see, and fun for the budgies, the poor quails did not appreciate it and it stressed them out. In the end took the quails out as the budgies were still annoying them after several days.

Mynah birds............. The mynah birds like to eat the quail eggs, but they never harmed the adult quails.

Would 10ft by 10ft (including all indoor spaces) be enough? I’m thinking I’m the ballpark of 6 finches and I have 7 quail that would be living with them

That sounds ideal fine so long as you provide plenty of hiding places and some plants / plastic plants / logs etc to provide the pairs of quail with areas they can get away from each other.

They like tufts of grass or even balled up hay to hide in too.

Their only might be a problem with the quails fighting each other in the breeding season. Then I house each pair on their own. But, sometimes they are OK and won't fight. They have different personalities I think like people lol

That sounds ideal fine so long as you provide plenty of hiding places and some plants / plastic plants / logs etc to provide the pairs of quail with areas they can get away from each other.

They like tufts of grass or even balled up hay to hide in too.

Their only might be a problem with the quails fighting each other in the breeding season. Then I house each pair on their own. But, sometimes they are OK and won't fight. They have different personalities I think like people lol
Okay thank you for your help!

Back
Top Bottom