Keeping pair of Turkeys overwinter

taprock

Crowing
12 Years
Nov 1, 2010
Northern L.P. Michigan
I know nothing about turkeys but have fallen in love with a friends Narragansetts. She said I could have a pair if I wanted and then she could get eggs back from me in the spring for hatching. I have no idea what is involved and it is late in the season. I have a small coop 4x8 that I was going to put my 5 guineas in. Could the turkeys go in with them? Do they like roosts? Any advice would be great.

yes, your turkeys will like a spot to roost, and i dont see why they wouldnt get along with your guinea hens. hope you enjoy your new turkeys and their noises!!!!!!
lol.png

Renee' :

IMO your coop is too small for that many birds.
hmm.png

X2 way too small IMHO triple it and you wil be getting close as long as you have a run attached.​

Agreed, I think you might need a bigger coop for that many birds. We have a coop a little bigger then 10X10 and we only have our three turkeys, and its just enough for them, although they do also have a run attached.

Thanks! I do have a run attached but in the winter the guineas don't go out much. How much space do you plan for turkeys? Most of the people I know don't have a separate coop for them, just let them wander or go into the barn.

Last edited:
Turkeys need 10 sq feet of space per bird inside the coop minimum. They also need a run space of 20 sq feet per bird. Turkeys need 2 feet of roost space per bird that is 2 feet from the wall to give their tail feathers room. They want to be as high as possible so don't be surprised if you find them roosting in the rafters or on top of your house/barn!

In the spring you could also run into trouble. When breeding season hits your tom could try to breed with a guinea and she could be hurt or killed.

Back
Top Bottom