Keeping Pigs for Meat.. Gotta a few questions.

As long as they are under a year old and have been castrated, the age won't affect the flavor. What happens, though, as they get larger they just tend to put on a lot more fat cover over the carcass. Also, the bacon just gets thicker and thicker. You can literally have slices of bacon like 4" wide from an older pig. I think it's awesome!

And do get the lard!!

Thanks Greyfields. I'll let Adam know that he can get started on a pigpen. LOL

Four inch bacon sounds delicious. What we may end up doing if the pig gets that large is cooking half at the BBQ and then having the other half made into cuts for the freezer. I don't know yet, we'll wing it as we go.

I like your new avatar Greyfields.

edited to add: the 's' to Greyfields.

-Kim

Last edited:
Altough i'm not wearing my farming hat in that one and look like hell after baling for like a 12 hour day, Olive is my favorite goose. She likes a cuddle on occassion. She generally craps in my lap though and ruins the moment!

Quote:
LOL Our feathered friends have a habit of ruining the moments like that huh? I think it is hilarious. Sometimes they do it in just the right timing to make almost any situation comical.

So, has Olive reached the elusive Pet quality or will she be enjoyed in life and re-enjoyed in death?
wink.png

-Kim

Olive is one of my 18 I keep for breeding. :0

She got her name because one day I came home to find a goose standing alone in teh middle of hte driveway. She was just filthy and covered in something black. She came to my voice and could hardly see. She had gone for a swim in the engine oil tub as I was changing the tractor oil and had just gone for the right filter. So, we bathed her in the kitchen sink for several days until she cleaned up. she was forever then Olive Oil. She's very brave and also is the alpha goose in my main flock.

D'Oh! Wondered what she thought while swimming in oil instead of water.

She is a beautiful thing for sure!

-Kim

Back
Top Bottom