Growing Pigs or Hogs in winter

BarnyardChaos

Free Ranging
7 Years
Apr 23, 2017
Richmond, MO
I'd like to hear what everyone is doing to keep feeder pigs warm this winter, or even your pet pot-bellied pigs. I think I'm prepared for the coming storms and arctic winds this week (Saturday's temps forecast for 9-F high, and 0-F low!), but want to be sure I haven't missed something important, or could do something better for them.

My setup: I have six porkers, about 4-1/2 months old, Berkshire X Mulefoot, all gilts. My goal is meat production. Their slaughter date is Feb. 26th. (Unfortunately, I think I misread how much feed to give them early on, and as of yesterday, their average weight is only about 90lbs each. I'm now doubling or tripling their ration so that their feeders are never completely empty. Their body condition is good and they are very healthy, just not as big as they should be.) Please be kind. I'm new at this and doing the best I can.

I have them outdoors in a large pen, about 30' x 100', with a low-roofed 4-sided shed in the center. The shed is made of heavy-gauge sheet metal on a welded pipe frame, measures about 10'W x 8'L x 4'H, sloped metal roof, and an east-facing door about 2' x 2'. I've placed two plastic pallets inside to keep the pigs off the ground and it's kept well stuffed with wheat straw. Part of the front wall is hinged so I can raise it up and get inside, to clean it out or add more straw.

They have two trough feeders into which they are fed twice a day, a mixture of corn chops and a protein meal from my local ag supplier, mixed about 1:3 ratio for about 18-19% protein. They very rarely get table or pantry scraps. They also have a large round hay bale to munch on, which I roll around sometimes to give them loose hay to root around in or lay on top of. Waterers are three large rubber tubs against a fence, surrounded by concrete blocks, and heated with 250-watt bucket heaters wired to the fence. So far, they haven't tried to play in one, flip it over, tear it up, or chew the heater wires.

Lots of snow and frigid temps coming this week. I plan to add a flap of a heavy vinyl bath mat or some such over the shed door to help contain heat. I plan to keep snow paths cleared to the feeders and waterers, using hay to cover the ground in those areas. And I'll add lots more straw in the shed as needed.

I'll try to get some photos today and post them here.
What am I missing, or what could I do better?

I would think as long as the bedding is deep enough they can cover themselves up in it. I know the wild pigs here will gather dry brush and make deep beds that they hide in.
Thank you. Yes, I read pigs will gather straw in their mouths and stuff their bedding when weather is coming. I plan to add more straw throughout the week.

I've never had pigs, but my friends have a pet one. It is a strictly outdoor pig. Pig has a doghouse and in the winter they stuff it full of straw. She mostly just sleeps all day on nasty days.

I'm relieved to find that the pigs are doing FINE in this bitterly cold weather. I stuffed two more bales of straw into their shed yesterday and installed an air curtain of heavy clear vinyl strips over their door; and by sunset, they'd burrowed in and pushed straw up against the doorway, effectively blocking out all drafts. Smart critters!!!

They are active and boisterous, as usual, and showing no signs of frostbite that I can see. My chickens and cattle..... not so much.

Back
Top Bottom