Keeping predators out

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by bgeyer, Sep 13, 2012.

1. bgeyer

bgeyer Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2012
    What is the best fencing to put around your coop to keep predators out? Right now we have chicken wire around the coop, but I have heard horror stories about it. Any suggests? Is galvanized wire good?

2. mickey328

mickey328 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    1/2 x 1/2 or 1 x 1 hardware cloth seems to be the best. Chainlink is good too except that paws & claws can reach through it. Chicken wire is great for keeping chickens IN but critters like coons just laugh at it ;)

3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote: That totally depends on the predators you're concerned with.
    2 X 4 Welded Wire will keep most things out pretty well

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

All my pens are 2x4" opening welded wire fencing. I'm on sloping ground so sometimes, I have to double layer it since it doesn't flex for slopes well. Some places, it's 5' high and some, it's about 7' high at a double layer site. Then, I wrap the bottom with hardware cloth folded outward for a dig barrier. Some pens have big rocks surrounding the edges sitting on those dig barriers. I cannot bury the wire since I am on a mountain with too much stone and root interference.

Mine are all inside at dusk locked up tight so only the bantam coop has a cover on it to keep the little rascals from flying out.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by