Keeping Roosters in the City

herechickchick

Songster
12 Years
Mar 28, 2007
Memphis TN
I see that many people are having issues with keeping roosters in the city so I thought that I would share what I do:

OK I have roosters in the city and this is how I get away with it. Once night falls I go to the coop and get my boys. I take them to my garage and put them in dog travel kennels with bedding and water. Close the door and presto no more early morning crowing! I let them out around 9:30 when most people are up and gone to work so the crowing is really no more than the random dog bark during the day. Sat and Sundays they stay in until 10:30 or 11:00 for those neighbors who sleep in (see courteous on my part, appreciative on their end). It has worked perfectly and most importantly afforded me the opportunity to keep roosters in my area. I think the reason I have had such luck is because I am understanding of the neighbors feelings and in return they understand that I have a right to keep the roosters so it has worked out nicely. I have no city regulations on noise or chickens in the city except that they cannot roam at large. I hope that this helps all of you in your neighbor issues.

Good Luck, Adam

Here is one of my boys
sumatra04.jpg

Out of the 4 chicks I got last Easter 2 ended up being male, I had to cull my EE cockerel (tried to rehome him through Craig's List and Freecycle first - to no avail) so he is buried with flowers growing over his grave. He was asserting himself on my bantam cochin and she was WAY to small to take it (especially compared to him). Boy was he loud.....

But my other cockerel, (another bantam cochin) crow is not very loud at all. With all the city noise (I-15 highway nearby), dog's barking, ATV's (neighbor has a deep lot), and all the other birds in the area (I feed them) he is mostly drowned out.

Last Friday night I had a scare though, the cops were at the next door neighbors house 2X the second time they were there for a while. The entire time I worried, he would go off. Not a sound in the neighborhood, told my co-workers about it on Monday & they are like "they had better things to do at the time - Relax - with your meth head neighbors keeping them busy, & they will wait till someone complains". I figure if my neighbors can handle the meth heads, and barking dogs, they are pretty gosh darn tolerant.

Quote:
True that does help! Yes he is a Sumatra, he won reserve champion at the second largest poultry show in Kentucky before I got him. He is a very sweet boy.

Gosh I just started a post about this I want a roo so bad I am so happy this worked for someone I was thinking maybe in my shed. It works great because here everyones dog barks and we go to bed at the same time you do. I may be able to breed wheten and blue wheten ameraucanas after all.

Henry

I am going to once I get something in my mind its impossible to convince me I don't want to do it I am the stubornest son of a gun in the world. That is one difficult trait that my moms side posseses I love it
big_smile.png

Thank you sooo much for posting this!!!! I had already posted my roo up for free on here and then I ran acroos this thread. I t made my heart leap for joy!!!!
jumpy.gif
My first three chickens have been roosters. And while I wasn't attached to the first two that started crowing I am VERY much attached to my handsome little roo who started crowing yesterday. From day one he has followed me, makes noices at me, and sits on my lap. He also insists that I hand feed him his treats everyday.
gig.gif
I wasn't dealing with the idea of parting with him all that well when I read this. I told DH about it and he told me I could dive it a try. When I first realized my handsome little guy was crowing I started crying because I thought there was no way I could keep him. ( I know to some that sounds pathetic but I really love my roo ) Thank You
wee.gif

My neighbors do the same thing, they keep the rooster in the garage until a bit later in the morning. I can hear him faintly, but I have chickens also, and love the sound. We also have an alley behind us, so that helps cut the noise for the neighbors. My neighbor on the other side has a teenage son that plays the drums late at night and the other neighbor on the far side of my other chicken loving neighbor has a triple lot, and lives on the far side of it, so we have lucked out so far with no complaints to code enforcement. I rehomed 2 of my roosters (from my batch of "pullets"), culled the nasty ugly & very loud EE, and gave the other away to my neighbor (along with 4 pullets) so now they have 2 roosters. He's a really nice polish boy though and hasn't really started making any noise like their OEG bantam.

I would think about keeping a rooster but it's not really convenient for me to keep him inside since I leave for work at 7am. I might just borrow the polish boy back for some breeding to my polish pullet.

Your Sumatra is gorgeous!! That is the breed I really wanted, but it didn't work out with my last order.

Sandy

Back
Top Bottom