Keeping roosters with broodies/baby chicks

reddirtbirds

Songster
Apr 9, 2020
Central Oklahoma
I’ve had chickens for about six years now and let my hens hatch their own eggs every spring/summer. bUt I’ve never let my hens hatch/roam with my roosters while they have chicks younger than a month or so by their hip. I have a broody momma in her own pen right now and a rooster im needing to pen. Her and the rooster aren’t bonded. He’s docile so my concern would be less for him hurting the chicks and more so for the hen freaking out once they hatch having a somewhat unfamiliar rooster in her pen. Would the remaining two weeks be enough for her to get used to him and feel comfortable?

I’ve had chickens for about six years now and let my hens hatch their own eggs every spring/summer. bUt I’ve never let my hens hatch/roam with my roosters while they have chicks younger than a month or so by their hip. I have a broody momma in her own pen right now and a rooster im needing to pen. Her and the rooster aren’t bonded. He’s docile so my concern would be less for him hurting the chicks and more so for the hen freaking out once they hatch having a somewhat unfamiliar rooster in her pen. Would the remaining two weeks be enough for her to get used to him and feel comfortable?
It’s not a good idea.

Every rooster is different but like has already been mentioned breeding while on the nest, generally being rough with the hen, stepping on chicks etc... a lot can go wrong with a rooster in a pen with chicks. That doesn’t mean it will but doesn’t seem worth the risk if you’re interested in the chicks.

Back
Top Bottom