Keeping snakes out of hutches?

Dutchgirl

Not Dutch!
11 Years
Apr 1, 2008
U.S.A.
We're building a hutch for the first time (having used our collection of wire cages before) and we want to make this one definitely snake-proof for having bunnies in. Most people seem to think that 1'' x 2'' wire is fine - but I know by experience that snakes get right through that. We've gone ahead and bought what I believe is 1/2'' x 1/2'' wire for the sides and doors... but we haven't bought the floor wire yet.

So my questions are:
1) What gauge should floor wire be?
2) Can snakes get through 1/2'' x 1/2'' wire?

One big enough to eat a day old bunny, no. Snakes that can fit like a baby garter snake will have no want or desire.
I have always just used 1/2" hardware cloth for the bottom and sides. Never a problem with anything getting in the rabbit pens.
Have a good day.

I use 1/2" hardware cloth as the top of my brooder on the patio. I often take the top off and lean it against the wall during the day.
Went out and had a black snake weaved in through the hardware cloth. Not likely big enough to eat anything, but still, i don't want them in with my critters (or on my patio!)

Bottom needs to be 1/2" for dropping to fall through. Probably really more like 3/8, but 1/4 is to small so 1/2 is needed.

Bottom needs to be 1/2" for dropping to fall through. Probably really more like 3/8, but 1/4 is to small so 1/2 is needed. 

That's what I was thinking. We're probably just going to use hardware cloth for the floor, although it's pretty floppy.

Back
Top Bottom