Keeping the coop clean

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
I'm glad you joined.

What breeds are you getting?
smile.png

My husband and I are getting 5 chicks. Our grandkids are so excited about it. I have done a lot of research on the breeds.we will be getting
Orpingtons , buff Brahmas,, golden laced wyandotte, anf Black Australorps.
Im glad you have chickens, you must be having lots of fun with them.

OK what is an EE ? im new to all this.
Lets see, we are getting 1 buff orpington, 2 Buff Brahma, Golden laced Wyandotte, and 1 blacl Australop. They all are a clam bird, and we need that here, concidering they need to be fairly quiet..cause were not suppose to have chicken in this neighborhood. so we have put them way in the back and hace put plants all around the run. Im going to do my best to make this happen, i want chickens so bad.
Say, what do ya do if you go away for a week having chikens?

Lets see, we are getting 1 buff orpington, 2 Buff Brahma, Golden laced Wyandotte, and 1 blacl Australop. They all are a clam bird, and we need that here, concidering they need to be fairly quiet..cause were not suppose to have chicken in this neighborhood. so we have put them way in the back and hace put plants all around the run. Im going to do my best to make this happen, i want chickens so bad.

EE is shorthand for Easter Egger - a mixed breed bird that *can* lay blue/green eggs - they are often misrepresented as purebred Ameraucanas by hatcheries/retailers/private sellers that either don't know better or just don't care.
If you are going to be away - and especially if you are trying to be covert - you need to have a trusted person who can stop by and check on the birds and care for them. Birds who are out of water/feed (even with large containers they can find ways to spill it all on the first day) are going to be noisy and draw attention to themselves very quickly - plus you wouldn't want your much wanted new pets to be suffering.

There is a good article on EEs at http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/09/ameraucana-easter-egger-or-araucana.html and the difference between the EEs (which are hybrids) are pure Ameraucanas and Araucanas.
When we go away for a week, we have a friend come over and take care og the chickens (and other animals for us). We make them out a day-by-day check list and walk them through the process before we leave.

EE's are easter eggers, they lay blue or green sometimes pinkish eggs. If you go away for a week end, you need someone to look after your flock. that's the down side of chicken keeping. You'll have to teach them what to do. I was going to suggest a neighbor but I guess that's not an option. Maybe a relative or friend will house/chicken sit? Good luck not getting caught, fined and having your birds removed from the property
sad.png
Best of luck!!

thanks, i really want them so bad. there are other people in our neighborhood who have them, so we are going to give it a try. What is the temperment of EE's!
are they a calm bird?

Back
Top Bottom