Keeping the coop ramp clean

MissRaychel91

Chirping
Jul 15, 2018
The ramp that leads up into the coop is covered with poop every day. I have no idea how to clean it. The material that it's made of is the shingle material that's on the roof, It's ruff and the little rocks or whatever they are come off when I try and scrub the poop off.
How in the world am I suppose to clean it??
Thanks!

:idunnoMy ramp is painted wood with marine varnish. I scrub it with 50/50 white vinegar and water. The vinegar is the only thing that quickly gets through the poop. I just take a small amount out with me and scrub it down. During the week I scrape it off with kittty scoop when cleaning coop which limits the dirt on the ramp so when go to scrub at end of week not so bad. I don’t think I would shingle a ramp. Just put a few cross boards over so they can walk up it. As below. :)
A1156FF4-CB56-4516-B6C2-B493D06CECB1.jpeg

My ramp is just a 1x8 with some shallow saw cuts about 1/8" deep every inch... I just sweep it off once a week. Poop never sticks to the PDZ that comes out on their feet in the morning and falls on the ramp.

ramp-01.jpg

Shingles sound a bit rough on the birds feet to me but what do I know I wear shoes.

JT

I'd consider replacing the ramp in the future honestly, as that type of material won't ever be easy to clean. In the meantime I'd just use a paint scraper and carefully scrape off what I could.

I use concrete blocks instead of a ramp, easy for chickens to use with no risk of slipping and easy to scrape clean.

:idunnoMy ramp is painted wood with marine varnish. I scrub it with 50/50 white vinegar and water. The vinegar is the only thing that quickly gets through the poop. I just take a small amount out with me and scrub it down. During the week I scrape it off with kittty scoop when cleaning coop which limits the dirt on the ramp so when go to scrub at end of week not so bad. I don’t think I would shingle a ramp. Just put a few cross boards over so they can walk up it. As below. :)
View attachment 1581295

That's a great idea! The ramp came with the coop that way, and for some reason I didn't even think to make my own and replace it. Lol

I think you could make your own and replace. It’s that or pull off shingling and sand down old one if can. Add cross boards, paint, then varnish.

If replace, I would make removable by hooking the ramp up with hook/eye so can pull out for cleaning so much easier.
upload_2018-11-4_17-29-56.jpeg

I love the removable ramp idea.
I was just brain storming some ideas..
What about instead of a ramp how about a couple perches going up that way they poop and it falls top the ground?
So they kinda hop their way up

Maybe that would work. Would try a prototype in yard first propped on something to see if they would go up it first.

Back
Top Bottom