Keeping the Coop Warm in the Winter

AUTOCAD is an enemy dear friend of mine. I use it often in my line of work. I always start out on graph paper though. There is something so cathartic about putting pen to paper. That and I hate sitting in front of a computer in my free time. I do enough of that at work.

Although, the amount of work required to get the chicken living situation to be at the standards I want has proven expensive and time consuming. I’m tempted to go into early retirement so I can focus on the chickens and work as a freelance consultant to supplement my income...
It's what I did for a living for 20+ years, both 2D and 3D solid modeling...
...I almost can't 'design think' without it. :lol:
I do some concept sketching with pencil on paper tho too.

Although, the amount of work required to get the chicken living situation to be at the standards I want has proven expensive and time consuming. I’m tempted to go into early retirement so I can focus on the chickens and work as a freelance consultant to supplement my income...

Chickens + retirement are the perfect combination!

Don’t forget to put some Vaseline on their combs. It helps keep frostbite away
I’ve heard conflicting information. Some people swear by it, and others vehemently are against it.

I personally have no desire to chase down my chickens and apply Vaseline to them, but then again they are flighty and would be difficult for me to catch. Other people may not feel the same way I do, and that’s ok.

I’ve heard conflicting information. Some people swear by it, and others vehemently are against it.

I personally have no desire to chase down my chickens and apply Vaseline to them, but then again they are flighty and would be difficult for me to catch. Other people may not feel the same way I do, and that’s ok.

As I understand it, research studies did not support it. But if you ever need to catch your chickens, wait until they are roosting, and use a flashlight or headlamp if you don't have enough light. You can snatch them off the roost and they are too sleepy to raise a big fuss.

View attachment 1958286

Like you, I was very worried the first winter with chickens.... Witnessing the neighbors house burning I am worried about fire. I remember going out several times during the night that first winter to check on the chickens. I have since learned that some basic, low tech preparation works well to keep the chickens happy and healthy. No added heat! Let the flock acclimate to the weather. I currently have one gal that looks more like a porcupine than a chicken, she was the last to molt and it’s a bad one. She’s doing well even though we’ve already dropped to single digit temperatures at night. Good ventilation without drafts blowing on the chickens, dry clean coop and access to unfrozen water are important. I also use thick clear plastic sheeting around the run but leave some of the hardware cloth under the roof uncovered for ventilation. It keeps the wind and snow out. Adding dry leaves to the run has worked very well for us for years.... the chickens love scratching around in the thick layer of dry leaves and by spring it’s completely broken down. The temperature is not the enemy..... moisture, damp conditions in even ‘milder’ freezing cold causes issues like frostbite. You’re doing good!
Thank you I had thought about putting leaves in there.

As I understand it, research studies did not support it. But if you ever need to catch your chickens, wait until they are roosting, and use a flashlight or headlamp if you don't have enough light. You can snatch them off the roost and they are too sleepy to raise a big fuss.
This method of "catching your chicken" only works if you have easily accessible roosts. I would have to climb into our hutch to take a chicken off the roost. :sick Can't wait to have a walk in coop!!!

Back
Top Bottom