Keeping the Girls Cool

SavyNic

Chirping
Apr 9, 2020
Katy, TX
Hey yall, I'm in southeast Texas and it's starting to get hot down here. This is our first summer with the chicks (they are now around 14-15 weeks old), and we want to make sure they stay safe in the heat. We bought two waterproof outdoor fans, and have a roof over the run. We've installed one fan and they love to lay in its path, but they are still panting! I've been filling a stainless bowl with ice, water and some black oil sunflower seeds so they can cool down a little and they love it! I have noticed that some of them like to step in it while they eat... so my question is if it's safe to buy one of those plastic kiddie pools and fill that with ice and water so they can all have room to stand in it? I wasn't sure because I know they can get sick from being wet. So let me know what y'all think! And if you have any other suggestions for keeping them cool I'd love to hear them! Thanks :)

Deep all day shade is best but....I don't have much of that.
This has worked very well to keep heat stress/stroke at bay:

I give a dose of Sav-a-Chick electrolytes/vitamins about once a week during heat waves.
It really seems to help....started this after they saved a heat stroked hen once.
Can mix up a smaller amount, just wrap the packet tight and store in a dry cool place.
Always have plain water available too.
full

BIG(9x14x2") chunks of ice last all day for wading, sitting, and sipping.
Much more useful to the chickens than frozen foods and treats.
full

Make space in your freezer!
full

Deep all day shade is best but....I don't have much of that.
This has worked very well to keep heat stress/stroke at bay:

I give a dose of Sav-a-Chick electrolytes/vitamins about once a week during heat waves.
It really seems to help....started this after they saved a heat stroked hen once.
Can mix up a smaller amount, just wrap the packet tight and store in a dry cool place.
Always have plain water available too.
full

BIG(9x14x2") chunks of ice last all day for wading, sitting, and sipping.
Much more useful to the chickens than frozen foods and treats.
full

Make space in your freezer!
full
I have never heard of giving them electrolytes before! Thank you!!! Do you just mix up a small batch and leave it out all day? And can they OD if some drink all of it without everyone taking part? Also how much would you recommend for a flock size of 8?

I have never heard of giving them electrolytes before! Thank you!!! Do you just mix up a small batch and leave it out all day? And can they OD if some drink all of it without everyone taking part? Also how much would you recommend for a flock size of 8?
I do a half gallon for my 14-18...and put it into 2 waterers.
I mix it in a gallon waterer then pour some into a chick waterer.
I don't think they can OD on it, but always have plain water available too and only give it to them once a week.

I do a half gallon for my 14-18...and put it into 2 waterers.
I mix it in a gallon waterer then pour some into a chick waterer.
I don't think they can OD on it, but always have plain water available too and only give it to them once a week.
Okay thank you so so much for the tip! I really appreciate it :)

Back
Top Bottom