Keeping Toms from nesting box

B***dy H**l from someone who knows nothing about turkeys except what temperature to cook them on Xmas day they can they get into a hole that small !!!
Do they fold themselves up or what !
My goodness we learn a lot from BYC šŸ¤­
Heritage hens aren't close to the size of the broad breasted turkeys you get in the grocery store.

Heritage hens aren't close to the size of the broad breasted turkeys you get in the grocery store.
Oh, okay then, I have just googled what a heritage hen is. In England the word heritage relates, for me, to the saving of buildings of national importance so my mind was in Lala land for a few moments.
Now Iā€™m more savvy,
Itā€™s been a weird day šŸ¤’šŸ˜µā€šŸ’«šŸ¤’šŸ˜µā€šŸ’«šŸ¤”

Oh, okay then, I have just googled what a heritage hen is. In England the word heritage relates, for me, to the saving of buildings of national importance so my mind was in Lala land for a few moments.
Now Iā€™m more savvy,
Itā€™s been a weird day šŸ¤’šŸ˜µā€šŸ’«šŸ¤’šŸ˜µā€šŸ’«šŸ¤”
It's my understanding that in England that a mature male turkey may be referred to as a bull.

It's my understanding that in England that a mature male turkey may be referred to as a bull.
Okā€¦so I put a board straight across the entrance of 2 of the nest boxes (they are attached to each other side by side and seperated by hardware cloth)ā€¦ taking the entry down to about 8.5ā€ā€¦depending on how high the straw getsā€¦but I can adjust it if I see it is needed. The width is still about 12-14ā€, but if the toms canā€™t make it into the box because of the heightā€¦then the width may not be an issue. I will keep watching to see if I need to add more boards to the sides or top to make the entry smaller. I must sayā€¦the girls didnā€™t seem too happy at the idea of lowering their heads to get into the boxesā€¦and they havenā€™t used them today. So far they all chose to use the one nest box at the other end of the shelter. That one I just added a board to each side to make it too small for the toms to get into. I will put a ā€˜fakeā€™ egg in each of the other 2 nest boxes to encourage the hens to use them. Hopefully that will work. Thanks for your idea. šŸ˜Š

Back
Top Bottom