Keeping Track of Eggs

JenniferK

Songster
12 Years
May 7, 2007
Northern California
I struggled for years to keep track of which eggs were the oldest and use them first, and finally having hit on a simple solution, I wanted to share it. I put a piece of Scotch tape on the end of an egg carton to create a "plastic-y" area, then write the date on it with a wet erase marker. When the eggs are gone, I can wipe off the date and reuse the carton with a new date.

I play the "mandala" game with the eggs: I place them in a carton, from left to right. Say I collect 6 eggs. I place them in the 6 receptacles on the right. Then if I get six more the next day, I scoot the previous day's eggs to the left, keeping them in the same order, and place the new eggs in the six spaces left vacant. If we need to consume, say, four of the eggs, we take them from the left side of the carton, and move back the remaining eggs so as to leave four empty spaces on the right. If the carton is full and we get more eggs, I take another carton and repeat the same procedure, placing the new eggs on the right side of the new carton. If we need to consume six eggs, I take them from the left of the first carton, move the remaining ones to the left, and then take six eggs from the left of the second carton and move them to the vacant spaces on the right of the first carton. Then I move the remaining eggs in the second carton to the left, leaving vacant spaces on the right of it for the next batch. It seems complicated, but it's not, and it guarantees that no eggs will be left too long in the fridge. I only have seven hens, so I rarely have more than two cartons in the fridge. At times I cheat, though. This morning, after collecting some eggs, I saw that I had two full cartons and one too many eggs. I could have placed the extra egg in a third carton, but I just could not resist. The just laid egg was so warm in my hand. I washed it with hot water and dish soap, rinsed it well, dried it, and pierced the sharper end with my canine tooth. I pulled a few shell fragments off the hole, and sucked the egg. Yes, this may gross some of you out, but I think that the flavor of a raw just-laid egg is one of the delights of nature.

Back
Top Bottom