Keeping track of fresh eggs

The majority of my egg cartons are recycled. My customers bring them back to me when they need a refill. I found some small, rectangular post it notes. As I start a new carton, I write the date I started it on a post it and attach it to the top of the carton. When that carton is filled I write the end date on it. That way there's not a bunch of old dates to cross out on the carton itself. Much like ranchhand does.

New eggs come into the basket on our "egg cart" a small rolling 2 shelf kitchen cart
when the basket is full we pack up the 2 dozen eggs in it
The eggs go on the BOTTOM of the stack of eggs in the fridge shelf.
We always pull from the top first so no big deal.
When we have 4 dozen eggs hubby takes them to work, once or twice per week and sells them.

Also.. even though we do this, most all eggs laid here are consumed within 1 month anyway so it's no big deal.

We are still not able to meet the demand for our egg clients, but soon we'll be up to speed as another 10 hens come into lay in the next month or two.

I use an egg flat (from the 5 dozen I used to have to buy at the store) I have a flat for each day of the week.
when there are too many to stack in the refrigerator I simply wash, repack into dozens and sell the oldest ones. I have 34 hens and 1 Rooster. This works well for me. when I decided I wanted to hatch a few , I used a pencil and dated & wrote breed on the end of the egg, stored in a seperate flat.

I now have 9 eggs in the incubator laid between 1/4-1/6 placed in the bator on the 6th. 12 eggs added to the bator on the 13th, that were laid 1/11-1/13.

I just write the date on the carton that it was filled up. The eggs in the carton wouldn't be more than one, or two, days apart. If I get that egg carton back then I just mark out the old date and write in a new one.

I use our 18 egg cartons because it is what I have the most of right now. I just ordered and recieved my dozen egg cartons. But here at the house they go into the 18 and the oldest is on the bottom or if it is a carton not filled oldest is on the right. Hubby just took 2 18s to work to sell to our standing customer. I am not worried about older eggs for they do not stay around long enough. I have two places we sell one being his work the other our local hang out.

I wrote MON thru SAT in the bottoms of the cells of an 18-egg carton. Anything over 3 eggs per day (I have 5 hens) gets put into a 6-pack box, as do all eggs on Sunday (no rest for the wicked!) and when I have a full 6 I send a boy out the door with it to go get a dollar from some neighbor or another. If I have eggs left from the previous week they go into a 6-pack. Eggs that go out the door might be a week or 10 days old, but I try to keep them less than that.

I use my sons broken crayon stubs to mark the date on every egg, then eggs are placed in cartons from oldest to newest and placed oldest to newest in the fridge. it may be overkill because our eggs dont get over a week old before we eat them. if I do get more eggs then we can eat in a week I give a dozen to my dad.

i write the date on mine in pencil or crayon... i keep them in a hanging basket in a carton and tip the carton the other way a couple times a day...
i never know when i'll want to incubate some or someone will want some chicks, i'll move the oldest into the fridge, or onto the stove as needed.. lol...

Back
Top Bottom