Keeping uncovered outdoor run clean

We have construction sand in our run and LOVE it. I clean it out once a week, we have 8 hens and there is little to no smell, and scoops up with a kitty litter scoop in 15 minutes. Drains really well and quickly, and the birds love to bathe in it as well. Also provides grit. Best decision ever!

We have construction sand in our run and LOVE it. I clean it out once a week, we have 8 hens and there is little to no smell, and scoops up with a kitty litter scoop in 15 minutes. Drains really well and quickly, and the birds love to bathe in it as well. Also provides grit. Best decision ever!
Curious, how old are your birds?
and.....
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1591918259296.png

No smell? What happens to the poop when it rains? Mind if I ask what your climate is like?
I’m in southwest Michigan. It’s been in the 80s the last week or so. The run is covered, so only gets wet when it rains hard and then only about 6-8” in on the sides. I still clean up poop from the sides of the run, so it either dissolves into the dirt below or remains there and dries out. The smell is very minor. I forgot to clean the coop out this past weekend, and it smells slightly now, but nothing unpleasant and I have a sensitive nose.

I’m in southwest Michigan. It’s been in the 80s the last week or so. The run is covered, so only gets wet when it rains hard and then only about 6-8” in on the sides. I still clean up poop from the sides of the run, so it either dissolves into the dirt below or remains there and dries out. The smell is very minor. I forgot to clean the coop out this past weekend, and it smells slightly now, but nothing unpleasant and I have a sensitive nose.

Ah makes more sense - my run is uncovered, so not so great for sand I think :/

Get any wood chips you can. Green wood chips will work just fine if you use 2"inches at a time with as much "other" stuff that's dry. Get them to dump the chips were they can be aged. The top 2"of the pile will sun dry fast. Spread the pile if you can and add the top of the pile every two or three weeks with more dry stuff. The only time green chip are a real issue is if you go deep with nothing but green chips. Don't back off of using green wood chips. Just be smart and take your time with it. Yard service company will sometimes have compost piles. I know in Florida the garbage companies that picked up yard clips from the crib chipped everything and you can go to the transfer stations and get free compost.

Back
Top Bottom