Keeping vegitation in your run.

My rosemary and garden sage plants handle the chicken traffic well. I also have some clumping bamboo that does ok. When I plant something new, like a young fruit tree, I always put heavy brush or small logs around the base so the chickens don't disturb the root system with their scratching.

I was hit by a tornado 5 years ago. All my trees, gone. I needed something to provide my hens with shade and the quicker the better. A friend gave me a few starts of bamboo.

Here is what I did, I planted the bamboo going south to north right in the middle of my run.

I then fenced it off so the hens couldn't get to it. I left about three feet all around it. Within a year I had a fantastic sun barrier of approx. 10 feet long by 2 feet. The hens simply follow the shade around the run in the summer months.

bamboo is invasive but as the new shoots come out the hens eat them. I think in the fours years of good growth I've found one shoot that made it outside the run and I simple kicked it over.

I plan on being removed from my property feet first so the bamboo will be someone elses problem if they don't want chickens.

I live in the Pacific Northwest too. First we planted grass seed and kept it watered so we have plenty of grass for them to eat. We covered it with mesh so they can't scratch it out. We also planted a Japanese maple in the middle of the chicken pen. They don't eat the leaves and it provides shade for them, but doesn't get too large. I also have Lemon Balm planted next to the fence.

I live in the Pacific Northwest too. First we planted grass seed and kept it watered so we have plenty of grass for them to eat. We covered it with mesh so they can't scratch it out. We also planted a Japanese maple in the middle of the chicken pen. They don't eat the leaves and it provides shade for them, but doesn't get too large. I also have Lemon Balm planted next to the fence.
Did you just cover it with mesh at ground level? I have 4 grazing frames which work well, but am interested in other ideas, too.
And what kind of mesh did you use?

thanks from a fellow PNW'er!

Back
Top Bottom