keeping VS breeding

Which is more sustainable, profitable and secure for a homestead?

• keeping hybrids

• keeping heritage

• breeding heritage

• keeping both hybrids and heritage

Results are only viewable after voting.
It just truly depends on what you want to do and how you want to accomplish it. Why would you want Heritage? Would it be so that you could sell Heritage meat or chicks? I assume you're wanting to sell eggs as well. If that's the case, what you might want to do is keep two Heritage breeds that will give you hybrids when bred together, that would be the most economical. Say, Barred Rock hens and New Hampshire roosters, those will give you black sexlinks that should lay more than either parent as is.

When you use the term "Profitable" then it is without a doubt you are talking about hybrid chickens.

Most hybrid chickens also have a much greater degree of resistance to common chicken diseases bred into them.

Yes, but a lot is said about their reproductive organs which are destroyed...
It is also said that they are vaccinated for Marek's by the use of vaccines different from the vaccines used for their ancestors. And if the offspring of theirs is not vaccinated against Marek's correctly, it will die. Or just rumors?

Also, heritage breeds forage better.

It just truly depends on what you want to do and how you want to accomplish it. Why would you want Heritage? Would it be so that you could sell Heritage meat or chicks? I assume you're wanting to sell eggs as well. If that's the case, what you might want to do is keep two Heritage breeds that will give you hybrids when bred together, that would be the most economical. Say, Barred Rock hens and New Hampshire roosters, those will give you black sexlinks that should lay more than either parent as is.

Much better brown, red, bt red, gold partidge leghorn roosters over light columbian leghorn hens.
Or black minorca roosters over barred rock hens.
Better feed to egg conversion rate, better food consumption, better rangers.

Yes, but a lot is said about their reproductive organs which are destroyed... It is also said that they are vaccinated for Marek's by the use of vaccines different from the vaccines used for their ancestors.... Also, heritage breeds forage better.

I take exception to the idea that fat, lazy, clumsy, uncoordinated hens like a... (well I am not going to offend anyone's choice of chickens but you know the breeds I mean) there is no heritage breed other than the Mediterranean ones like leghorns and most game breeds that can be beat in the free ranging department. This is backed up by 70+ years of experience with chickens, much of it up close and personal.

Yes, but a lot is said about their reproductive organs which are destroyed...
It is also said that they are vaccinated for Marek's by the use of vaccines different from the vaccines used for their ancestors. And if the offspring of theirs is not vaccinated against Marek's correctly, it will die. Or just rumors? Also, heritage breeds forage better.
Their reproductive organs are not destroyed. They are simply crosses which take advantage of hybrid vigor in order to promote more egglaying. Any chick may or may not be vaccinated for Marek's, you decide when you order it. If you don't pay extra, they don't get vaccinated.
Much better brown, red, bt red, gold partidge leghorn roosters over light columbian leghorn hens.
Or black minorca roosters over barred rock hens.
Better feed to egg conversion rate, better food consumption, better rangers.
It was just an example of a sexlinked hybrid, feel free to do as you please.

I take exception to the idea that fat, lazy, clumsy, uncoordinated hens like a... (well I am not going to offend anyone's choice of chickens but you know the breeds I mean) there is no heritage breed other than the Mediterranean ones like leghorns and most game breeds that can be beat in the free ranging department. This is backed up by 70+ years of experience with chickens, much of it up close and personal.
English breeds also forage excellent. Sussex, legbar, orpington make the yard like the moon's field.

Their reproductive organs are not destroyed. They are simply crosses which take advantage of hybrid vigor in order to promote more egglaying. Any chick may or may not be vaccinated for Marek's, you decide when you order it. If you don't pay extra, they don't get vaccinated.

It was just an example of a sexlinked hybrid, feel free to do as you please.
The reproductive organs of hybrid layers are destroyed.
Unnatural big eggs even when start laying, small bodies, too much calcium consumed, no rest in winter time...

Back
Top Bottom