keeping VS breeding

Which is more sustainable, profitable and secure for a homestead?

• keeping hybrids

• keeping heritage

• breeding heritage

• keeping both hybrids and heritage

Results are only viewable after voting.
I understand the purpose of a poll. Since you started the poll, I assumed you were asking for advice or opinions about a future venture you wanted to undertake, whereas it appears you have something else in mind.
In the present I just keep a male turkey. It is a broad breasted bronze or a greek bronze. Maybe a greek bronze, because it seems to be too small and it avoids human contact.

I also help friends of mine breeding the greek crested, because I selected very carefully the most balanced strains.

In the future, (Let's hope that the financial crisis in Greece stops and my country stops to be a third world country), I will
  1. breed the Dutch Bantam giving emphasis on quality breeding, emphasizing on vaccinating, avoiding inbreeding, hatching in a natural way
  2. stop breeding the greek crested and give my stains to responsible breeders, without receiving money
  3. keep heritage and hybrid females for eggs in a big range of sizes, colors, shapes
  4. keep broilers for roasting
  5. keep other poultry (ducks, turkeys, geese, quails, guineas) for eggs and meat.

Back
Top Bottom