Keeping water from freezing in the winter

I use a 44 quart tote with lid, horizontal nipples, and a stock tank deicer that is okay to use in plastic. Keeps my 12 chickens in water for over a week. Water stays clean and thawed. Last winter it got down to -22. I went out to check on the water. Water was still thawed. I have a heated dog dish for backup just in case my system ever breaks down. My system is going on its 4th year now and has never frozen.

If you have electricity the size of your flock will help decide......I used to have one of the heated dog bowls and it worked fine when I had 8 hens. I currently have 16 and would still have to haul water out every day. I went with the 5 gallon double found with heated base. So far I love it. I haul a five gallon bucket out about every 5-7 days. Definitely a great investment for me.

5 gallon bucket with horizontal nipples. 250 watt stock tank heater. Works great. Water stays clean and liquid.
I use the same type of system except that I use a 44 quart (11 gallon) tote instead of the 5 gallon bucket. I pay someone to come once a week to put out food and water for the chickens as I can't lift and carry that stuff. Nice that is only needs done once a week and they could last another couple days if need be.

I'm using the low cost heated dog bowl (above) along with a 5 gal bucket and fish tank heater on a timer, both on regular electric. (I know of the potential problems with the fish tank heater) I have an automatic pop door using a 12v system with a small solar maintenance charger and an old motorcycle battery that has been working great. Something similar may work if you don't have electric in the vicinity. I suspect a bigger battery and panel for Vermont!! I've used some inexpensive solar panels from Harbor Freight in the past that actually worked pretty well.

Last edited:
hello everyone! I have been raising chickens for almost 5 years now and I’ve always struggled with keeping the flock’s water from constantly freezing. And I have a feeling I’m not the only one who struggles with this! I’ve tried different methods like using a ping pong ball, and putting a bottle of salt water inside the water, but both have failed to work for me. I’ve recently moved from Colorado to Vermont and now the winters are even colder then before. Does anyone have any tips or methods that have worked for them? I’d love to hear! Thanks in advence!

Just need to invest in a good heated waterer with horizontal nipples and a no stand lid.

I use this,
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-heated-waterer-with-horizontal-nipples.67256/
carry out less than a gallon a day...I like to refill daily, good habit to keep and eye on heater and consumption.

@Shadrach This one?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/alternate-method-to-prevent-water-freezing.73180/
Yes, that's the one aart. Thank you. I like to link to the article so the author at least gets the credit for bothering to write it up.

I use a 44 quart tote with lid, horizontal nipples, and a stock tank deicer that is okay to use in plastic. Keeps my 12 chickens in water for over a week. Water stays clean and thawed. Last winter it got down to -22. I went out to check on the water. Water was still thawed. I have a heated dog dish for backup just in case my system ever breaks down. My system is going on its 4th year now and has never frozen.

This is a GREAT idea! How are you holding your bin up? Horizontal nipples? I’m assuming it’s on the ground and you’ve got the nipples out the sides? I’d like to use this idea! Very clever.

Back
Top Bottom