Keeping wrap dry with bumblefoot

16 and me

Songster
Oct 31, 2022
Hi there,
I've been treating a hen with bumblefoot & I know it's good for them to have mobility & scratch as much as they are able. Sadly we get heavy frost at night and it takes all day for the grass and ground to dry. Wet bandaging would likely be worse for infection so Gracie has been confined to a sheltered area in the pen all day. Has anybody tried any kind of waterproof protection for chicken's foot that allows them free range?

It can be hard to make it totally waterproof, but you might cover with a little duck tape on the bottom. I usually just covered with a 2x2 normal dressing covered with Neosporin and vet wrap, and let them go. The wound should heal pretty quickly.

Hi there,
I've been treating a hen with bumblefoot & I know it's good for them to have mobility & scratch as much as they are able. Sadly we get heavy frost at night and it takes all day for the grass and ground to dry. Wet bandaging would likely be worse for infection so Gracie has been confined to a sheltered area in the pen all day. Has anybody tried any kind of waterproof protection for chicken's foot that allows them free range?
I've never used them but there's a product called Birdy Booties, they make them for chickens and ducks. https://www.hensaver.com/Birdy-Bootie.html
If you do try them, I have seen posts where people recommend putting vet wrap around the velcro closures so they can't pull them off.

Back
Top Bottom