Keeping your flock out of the flowers....suggestions??!!

Oh boy. I'm wondering the same thing. I got my first chickens last spring and for the most part they stayed away from the flower beds because there were better pickings elsewhere, but this week they've completely destroyed my flowerbeds and it's not even spring yet. They're going to tear up my flowers before they have a chance to spring up from the ground. Everything is cottage garden style so fencing in the flowers isn't an option. I'd have to fence in the chickens.
hmm.png

i have a host bed which my husky used to like to lie in, must have been nice and cool in the shade, he really did a number on it. this past summer i took a piece of livestock panel and cut it to fit the space, and put it up about 6 inches (i just placed it on some rocks) it worked perfectly, the hostas grew up thru the openings, the dog didn't like to get his feet tangled, voila! this might work with your chooks, it would need to be low enough they couldn't walk under it and high enough they wouldn''t be able to walk on the ground and step over it. maybe the 6 inch mark would work. i didn't tack my down or anything, that way i could move it if i needed to (especially at the end of the year)

A fence
hmm.png

I had gorgeous azalia bushes last spring/summer....until they discovered the pink blooms were super yummy
roll.png

We use the landscape rock rather than mulch, so that part will be okay. But I hate to think of my flowers/plants being eaten. I'm wondering if that product Critter Ridder would work with chickens (it's a basic repellent for dogs, cats, I think deer, etc.)??? Has anyone tried that??? If not I guess I'll be putting up a LOT of wire borders...
sad.png

Fencing or raised beds. About 18 feet high should be enough.

Sally, who has no flower beds anymore.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom