Keet with broken leg

jcatblum

Songster
9 Years
Oct 27, 2010
Cement, OK
The keet is about 4 weeks old. Maybe 5 wks. Went out to the coop today & notice it is dragging it's tail feathers in the ground. Looked closer & see that it's leg is sticking out side ways. It is getting around fine. Took me a few minutes to corner & catch it. I brought him in & he is in the hospital box.

Have not tried to nurse him yet. As of right now I plan on using medical tape & splinting his leg into position. I can turn his leg around fine & he doesn't fuss. I hope a few wks in a small space with his leg splinted will help. I will change the splint every other day since they are still growing so fast.

Any other ideas?

give him pedialite 50% and 50% water to drink pour it slowly down his throat. give him a nice hay bed to play in so he does not need to move around. I had one with a broken leg and he is getting around fine. I could not figure out how to tape him up, so I let him rest. He is a little pigeon toed, but walks fine.

Just now getting to this post...

How'd the splinting go? I've never dealt with any of my Guineas having a broken bone before (thankfully), but I have witnessed them babying themselves when they have some sort of leg injury until they are healed, (a bruise, pulled muscle or sprain type of injury)... so I'd imagine if you get your lil guy's leg splinted up good and all lined up, he will take care of babying himself until he's healed. Hopefully the break is a simple clean one and not a splintered mess, usually with breaks like that there's an increased risk of bone infection. If he starts going downhill (looking/acting sick) you might want to contact an avian vet about what type of antibiotics to give him. Layer feed will help provide some extra calcium.

Try posting this question on the Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures forum if you haven't already.
Good luck, hope he heals quickly!

The keet was still acting 100% normal after several days of me attempting to splint his leg. However his foot has shifted even worse. His foot is now completely backwards so today he went to guinea heaven.

I tried to splint it several different ways, it never seem to bother him & he still was thriving. I knew he wouldn't thrive with a backwards leg so I figured it was time to cull. Sad but think he is better off.

I agree, if you can't splint it adequately who knows how funky it would have healed. What a bummer tho, sorry for your loss
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom