Keets and then more keets

eleaf

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 5, 2013
The Bluegrass
I currently have a new set of 5 day old keets. With 5 having died in 2 days I need to make sure I have enough guineas come spring that they will fulfill their purpose of helping control ticks. With that in mind, I'm considering ordering more keets before the season is out to ensure I have a flock large enough.

Would it be better to get some ASAP (by August 24) and throw them in the brooder with the current keets (that will be 3 weeks old at the time), or wait until after the current keets have moved out of the brooder and introduce them later in the fall/winter? The last date at the hatchery we use is October 24. The current keets will be outside by then and I can start anew.

I just don't know whether 3 week old keets would bully the babies or whether they'd be okay. The size difference will be pretty big. And I could do a more controlled intro if I wait. But I'd also like to get the brooding over with ASAP if I can.

Any suggestions?

Can you temporarily divide the brooder so they can see but not hurt each other, so you can observe their behavior?
BTW, we had guineas years ago. Our first batch was 4 keets, and this small flock made a HUGE difference in the tick population.

Can you temporarily divide the brooder so they can see but not hurt each other, so you can observe their behavior?
BTW, we had guineas years ago. Our first batch was 4 keets, and this small flock made a HUGE difference in the tick population.
I agree. :D

I currently have a new set of 5 day old keets. With 5 having died in 2 days I need to make sure I have enough guineas come spring that they will fulfill their purpose of helping control ticks. With that in mind, I'm considering ordering more keets before the season is out to ensure I have a flock large enough.

Would it be better to get some ASAP (by August 24) and throw them in the brooder with the current keets (that will be 3 weeks old at the time), or wait until after the current keets have moved out of the brooder and introduce them later in the fall/winter? The last date at the hatchery we use is October 24. The current keets will be outside by then and I can start anew.

I just don't know whether 3 week old keets would bully the babies or whether they'd be okay. The size difference will be pretty big. And I could do a more controlled intro if I wait. But I'd also like to get the brooding over with ASAP if I can.

Any suggestions?
Two main reasons for not adding day old keets to 3 week old keets.

1 - size difference.
2 - temperature requirements. Day old keets should start out at 90° - 95°F while 3 week old keets should be down to 75° - 80°F.

I have regularly gotten away with adding day old keets to one week old keets but would not do so with with 3 week old keets.

Good luck.

Two main reasons for not adding day old keets to 3 week old keets.

1 - size difference.
2 - temperature requirements. Day old keets should start out at 90° - 95°F while 3 week old keets should be down to 75° - 80°F.

I have regularly gotten away with adding day old keets to one week old keets but would not do so with with 3 week old keets.

Good luck.

Thanks. I figured there'd be problems with a 3 week difference, and if we could have gotten more this week I probably would have done it. But we decided to wait until these current chicks are outside before we receive more. But we will be getting a second batch before the season's out.

Back
Top Bottom