Keets coming tomorrow....couple questions

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by Buttercup902, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Buttercup902

Buttercup902 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2014
    I have my box and light for warmth if needed. I have the brooder box in the garage though. In KS and temps are highs of 90's and lows of 70. I think it should stay warm enough with out the light. I think I have a thermometer in the shop. I know 95 is the temp they need but how high can it be? I think it actually gets warmer with the closed doors.

Also went to the feed store and they didnt have high protein medicated starter. I bought the unmedicated. How critical is medicated? Also they didnt have plain white millet. So I have to head to another feed store and check it out.

The bottom of the box is wood. I just planned on putting news paper down.

What am I missing?

Thanks guys, I am sure Ill have more questions later,

2. Papas Chickens

Papas Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2014
    Dateland Arizona
    Your temp should be fine just keep it at or close to 95 they come from Africa so they like it hot , my keets eat the same food my chicks do i feed them Dumor Chick Starter i think it has 24% protein, i havent givin my keets millet they get what my girls get no favoritism in my flock. I wouldnt use news paper do to the fact that they could get Spraddle Leg, i would put a thin layer of sand on the bottom witch will help keep the smell down and makes easy clean up. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  3. Mistahbue

Mistahbue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2013
    Brook Park, Minnesota
    I am a new keet mom too! 2 weeks now -- I am using a game feed starter for my keets - non-medicated. Initially I purchased Manna Pro Gamebird/Showbird Feed -- found it a Tractor Supply. I went to the local feed mill to see if they make their own game bird feed - unfortunately they don't so I have gradually switched them to another brand - I can't remember the name. I would have kept them on the Manna Pro if I could have gotten a larger bag.

Good luck!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by