Keets Dying

I'm feeding them game starter. They're on construction sand. I've just started putting electrolytes/vitamins and probiotics in their water to help them out more too.

I think the light was too low and they were getting too hot under the light, and too cold when they would fall asleep outside of it. It sure was hot when I put a thermometer down there to check. This would definitely lead to stress and pasty butt. I'd never had a problem with chicks in this setup. Raised several dozen with no problems. But the keets seem far more sensitive in these very early days

And I'm fixing that too. I raised the light with a temporary rig last night (nobody dead this morning). I'm expecting a Premier Chick Warming Plate to arrive today. This should solve any overheating problems and give them a place they can feel safe and relaxed.

I'm hoping to have these environmental conditions fixed sufficiently very soon. I'm building a brooder this weekend to replace the stock tank I currently use. This should make it more comfortable for both them and me.

Thanks for the replies.

@eleaf - hope you don't have any more casualties. It sounds like maybe things are under control now. Wish you well going forward with this batch and the next.

I sure hope things are under control! Things do seem to have leveled out. Everyone is eating and drinking happily. They're aware and rambunctious. I've introduced them to a Premier heat plate and I'll be turning their lamp off tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom