Keets have sores on their back - help!

taftap8

Hatching
May 31, 2020
Hi all - so I am very new to raising any kind of fowl and already run into a few issues. I got 10 keets to try and help reduce the tick population on the horse farm. So far we lost two keets as they fell out of the brooder and got too cold (the last person who checked water didn't realize even the babies can hop up pretty well!) and now I see two of them have what look to be sores on their back where there is no downing - any thoughts what might be causing it or what I should do? I think they are only a week old so pretty far from having feathers come in. Any thoughts? I want them to be well!

Hi all - so I am very new to raising any kind of fowl and already run into a few issues. I got 10 keets to try and help reduce the tick population on the horse farm. So far we lost two keets as they fell out of the brooder and got too cold (the last person who checked water didn't realize even the babies can hop up pretty well!) and now I see two of them have what look to be sores on their back where there is no downing - any thoughts what might be causing it or what I should do? I think they are only a week old so pretty far from having feathers come in. Any thoughts? I want them to be well!
The loss of back feathers could be due to having something they are rubbing their backs on or it could be due to pecking by the other keets.

I don't know what your brooder size but suspect they may need a bigger brooder.

Back
Top Bottom