keets

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Catfishingpokey, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Catfishingpokey

Catfishingpokey Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Albany, Tx
    we bought a pair of guinea keets along with some chicks. the chicks are already very tame and easy to handle .but the keets are wild as can be . will they ever tame down to be handled or not?

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    It is my experience they are better left a bit wild.

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I believe it is possible to tame them somewhat, but it takes A LOT of patience, and time. I believe there is a post on here somewhere, about how to do it. Just do a search for it... Good luck!

4. feathersgalore

feathersgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Central Ohio
    It takes hours a day to "tame" a guinea. If you try, you are best working with just one. It can be done but just takes a lot of work.

5. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    mine never became tame. In fact, even when one was injured recently, and I caught it, it would NOT let itself be treated, though I tried, and I have the scars to prove it.

6. lowcountrypoultry

lowcountrypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't have guinea's but at my friends grandmas farm there is a ton of them, and if you even look at them they run. lol

7. turnerstar31

turnerstar31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    I actually like mine to be a little wild. They are just a bird that should be in my opinion. However mine do tolerate me being around them they just don;t let me get to close and they will come up to you especially around feeding time.

8. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:That is what mine do as well. They will come up for food, until I move, then they run away. They will also go to roost in the tree, if there is anyone outside around roosting time. They flat out will not go to the barn if there is anyone around.

9. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Mine are skittish, but they come close enough to eat the kitchen scraps along with all the chickens and the turkey.

10. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    mine are skittish also. The grown ones come running when they see me in the yard but I cannot touch. They follow me into the coop to see what there is to eat but prefer roosting in the rafters of the big garage or recently, the trees. Once in a great while they will roost in with the chickens. I let them do their own thing. Except for the fifteen that hatched this morning in the garden. we put mama and babies into the brooder pen until the keets are big enough to fly with mom. See -We have mess of keets post to see brooder pen and tale. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by