Kefir ok for week and a half old pullets?

FrankHomestead

Songster
Mar 27, 2017
Michigan
Hi guys!! First off I love this site, it's been a godsend. So, I've been reading a lot about baby chicks needing probiotics to help them form good gut bacteria. I read about making a treat mixing yogurt and starter feed a couple times a week. I've got some milk kefir I was wondering if I could give them mixed with their feed? But it's blueberry flavored. So is kefir OK for them? And is blueberry OK for them? Or should I hold off until they're a little older? Thank you guys so much!!!!

I only feed chick starter and a small amount of scrambled eggs when they are younger that 8 weeks. I haven't read nothing about adding probiotics. Dairy can give them digestive upsets, especially when younger. I personally wouldn't feed any.

Kefir is the byproduct of kefir grains consuming the lactose in milk. Kefir is often used as a diary substitute in smoothies and other products for those that are lactose intolerant, due to it being 99%+ lactose free. Kefir is fine for chicks/chickens and far better than yogurt that is often given to chicks & chickens.

I make milk kefir, and I think it would be fine at that age in small amounts. I also fed chicks fermented feed starting at abut two weeks but a lot of folks do it immediately upon hatch. Lots of probiotics and they have been on it ever since.

They are now 18 months and not a single health problem.
I never did feed the kefir but I have been fermenting their feed since a couple weeks old and they are over 20 weeks now, haven't had a single problem either!

Back
Top Bottom