Kefir ok for week and a half old pullets?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by FrankHomestead, Mar 29, 2017.

1. FrankHomestead

FrankHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2017
    Michigan
    Hi guys!! First off I love this site, it's been a godsend. So, I've been reading a lot about baby chicks needing probiotics to help them form good gut bacteria. I read about making a treat mixing yogurt and starter feed a couple times a week. I've got some milk kefir I was wondering if I could give them mixed with their feed? But it's blueberry flavored. So is kefir OK for them? And is blueberry OK for them? Or should I hold off until they're a little older? Thank you guys so much!!!!

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I only feed chick starter and a small amount of scrambled eggs when they are younger that 8 weeks. I haven't read nothing about adding probiotics. Dairy can give them digestive upsets, especially when younger. I personally wouldn't feed any.

3. FrankHomestead

Mar 27, 2017
    Michigan
    gotcha, thank you!

4. barred2rock

barred2rock Chillin' With My Peeps

Kefir is the byproduct of kefir grains consuming the lactose in milk. Kefir is often used as a diary substitute in smoothies and other products for those that are lactose intolerant, due to it being 99%+ lactose free. Kefir is fine for chicks/chickens and far better than yogurt that is often given to chicks & chickens.

newbiecrystal likes this.
  5. mobius

mobius Chillin' With My Peeps

I make milk kefir, and I think it would be fine at that age in small amounts. I also fed chicks fermented feed starting at abut two weeks but a lot of folks do it immediately upon hatch. Lots of probiotics and they have been on it ever since.

They are now 18 months and not a single health problem.

newbiecrystal and barred2rock like this.
  6. FrankHomestead

Mar 27, 2017
    Michigan
    I never did feed the kefir but I have been fermenting their feed since a couple weeks old and they are over 20 weeks now, haven't had a single problem either!

7. mobius

mobius Chillin' With My Peeps

I think a little of the kefir would be fine...good for you fermenting!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by