• 2 males

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KatAndTree

In the Brooder
Nov 4, 2023
Hi everyone,

First time having geese, the people I got them from said they are a Pomeranian mix (likely with Buff). They’re siblings and were thought to be 1 male 1 female. I know nothing of sexing geese, chickens are easy, ducks are okay, but I can’t tell if there’s much of a difference between these 2 geese. We named them Ken and Barbie but I’m wondering if we have 2 Kens or 2 Barbies 😅. Not a big deal since I’ll probably find out in the spring, but curious what you all think.

Appreciate the insight!

Attachments

• IMG_8384.jpeg
    IMG_8384.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_8385.jpeg
    IMG_8385.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8387.jpeg
    IMG_8387.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8390.jpeg
    IMG_8390.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
:welcome Going by physical appearance (which is 'iffy' in geese), I would guess that both are female.
That’s what I’m starting to lean towards too. Originally the one with the grey face was a little more protective so we thought maybe that was the male, but I’m not so sure now :confused: lately the one with the white face has been doing a lot of walking around with head up and honking, but that could just be a phase.

Hi everyone,

First time having geese, the people I got them from said they are a Pomeranian mix (likely with Buff). They’re siblings and were thought to be 1 male 1 female. I know nothing of sexing geese, chickens are easy, ducks are okay, but I can’t tell if there’s much of a difference between these 2 geese. We named them Ken and Barbie but I’m wondering if we have 2 Kens or 2 Barbies 😅. Not a big deal since I’ll probably find out in the spring, but curious what you all think.

Appreciate the insight!
Looks like two girls to me.
Sometimes you can tell by voice with greylag type domestic geese. Females tend to have a multiple syllable rapid honk “ah ah ah ah,” whereas the loudest honk ganders make is a single syllable “ahhhhh” that can be repeated.

Female “ah ah ah ah”
Male “ahhhh” “ahhhh” “ahhhh”

Looks like two girls to me.
Sometimes you can tell by voice with greylag type domestic geese. Females tend to have a multiple syllable rapid honk “ah ah ah ah,” whereas the loudest honk ganders make is a single syllable “ahhhhh” that can be repeated.

Female “ah ah ah ah”
Male “ahhhh” “ahhhh” “ahhhh”
Interesting… now I’m not sure what to think… I’m pretty sure at least one of them does the “ahhhh” “ahhhh” “ahhhh” honk throughout the day when they see something they don’t like… I think it’s the one with the lighter face, but like I said, it might just be a phase because I think the grey faced one used to do that… idk I’m lost :idunnoI’m kinda hoping you all are right and I have 2 females though because idk how it would work if they decided to breed as siblings! I have a few more geese ordered for the spring from Metzer so hopefully that will balance it out.

Interesting… now I’m not sure what to think… I’m pretty sure at least one of them does the “ahhhh” “ahhhh” “ahhhh” honk throughout the day when they see something they don’t like… I think it’s the one with the lighter face, but like I said, it might just be a phase because I think the grey faced one used to do that… idk I’m lost :idunnoI’m kinda hoping you all are right and I have 2 females though because idk how it would work if they decided to breed as siblings! I have a few more geese ordered for the spring from Metzer so hopefully that will balance it out.
Trust me the confusion will get worse in breeding season. Males and females will mount each other.….

The only sure way to know is dna tests or when an egg pops out the rear hatch 😂

Back
Top Bottom