Kentucky people

I free flew my pigeons for about a decade until the hawks got so bad I sold what was left. You just cant enjoy them for the B.O.P's. You think everything is going fine until you lose your foundation breeder or the like. I switched to chickens and the red tails, dogs and day coons have been worse on them. Maybe I should try Emu.
You'd best settle on something very large!

I free flew my pigeons for about a decade until the hawks got so bad I sold what was left. You just cant enjoy them for the B.O.P's. You think everything is going fine until you lose your foundation breeder or the like. I switched to chickens and the red tails, dogs and day coons have been worse on them. Maybe I should try Emu.

Funny you should mention Emus. I was thinking of getting some Emus to run in the pasture with my sheep.

Hey, is there anyone in KY who breeds Emus???

smile.png

Funny you should mention Emus. I was thinking of getting some Emus to run in the pasture with my sheep.

Hey, is there anyone in KY who breeds Emus???

smile.png

re: interest in emu
i have friends in cox's creek who have a couple of emu that run with their alpacas. i am a little unfamiliar with emu, but she said something to the effect that they only lay at a certain time of the year and you have to take the eggs from them or they will stop the out. if you're interested, check out http://www.wampastomp.com/. you could get in touch with them through their facebook page, or i could pass along your contact info or a message if you'd like to buy any eggs from them to hatch.

Last edited:
speaking of roosters, i have realized that one of my "girls" is actually a guy (i'm not buying the 95% accurate sexing). so far i've only heard him crow a couple times this past week and it wasn't too bad, but if it gets worse over time, i won't be able to keep him. these are my first flock, so i'm not set up for any harvesting/dressing myself, anyone know who might be able to do it for me around the louisville area? if not, would anyone be interested in a rather handsome easter egger? i'm not ready to give him up quite yet, but may have to as he matures. anyone ever known of quiet-ish roos?

Last edited:
Any full sized roo will crow loudly, it is only a question of pitch. My current rooster isn't all that big on crowing. He sleeps in, in the winter sometimes greeting the {late} moning from inside the coop. When I let them out, he shuts up. Unless an event calls for commentary he is pretty quiet.

Right now I think he starts up around 8 am, quite a while after dawn.

fingers crossed.
a friend told me of her friend who used to time getting her chickens when the roos would start crowing as winter set in when her neighbors homes would be all shut in for the cold. that way they were so used to the muffled crows that it wasn't a shock to them when spring came and they began leaving their windows open.

Back
Top Bottom