Kestrel hawks

I have seen Coopers catch pigeons out of the air, but the pigeon was always near landing or take off around aviary / barn. Pigeons in trimmed out level flight are faster than Coopers Hawks by a considerable amount. Only the larger falcons can pursue pigeons (adult pigeons in good health) flying trimmed out flight in open air. Coopers Hawks working pigeon flocks here work hard to catch pigeons in close proximity to nesting area and once in a while getting jump on a feeding flock.

Some really interesting stuff with pigeon flock of about 1,000 birds living in bridge crossing Missouri River at Jefferson City that I cross at least twice daily. Owls are bigger takers of adult pigeons while the Coopers get fledglings that can not fly as well or are still in the nest.

Yes. Kestrels are way too small to threaten pigeons, (As would be a Sharp Shinned...) I just would never do anything to help set some young person on that dark path.... Peregrines were always an assumed problem although you would never see one, the chase would be far out and probably high up. But the Coopers were constantly swooping through to keep everything interesting. That is interesting about the bird bands. I know they used to shoot at the birds if they saw them, but if they used falcons, that would be a predecessor to todays Electronic Counter Measures. CA I would not say a Coopers could not grab a bird out of the air because I have seen it happen. They are amazing aviators. I have seen them do some crazy things in pursuit of the rollers.
Dark path? I’m licensed to be a falconer, but I haven’t had a bird in a while.

I have seen Coopers catch pigeons out of the air, but the pigeon was always near landing or take off around aviary / barn. Pigeons in trimmed out level flight are faster than Coopers Hawks by a considerable amount.... Owls are bigger takers of adult pigeons while the Coopers get fledglings that can not fly as well or are still in the nest.

No mention was made about kestrels killing pigeons, and most of the bands recovered were found beneath trees where presumably the raptor consumed their prey.

Several times I have witnessed Mourning doves out-flying Coopers Hawks in level flight.
I have also whitnessed Coopers Hawks hoofing it under thick cover to nab a song bird that fled there to escape the hawk's first attack. We are talking about song birds that were feeding at a bird feeder and then fled under a large holly bush to escape. I watched this play out from my picture window not 10 feet away.. It didn't work for the song bird then and it won't work for your chickens tomorrow. Especially with a Coopers Hawk.

Fortunately falcons are not a significant threat to chickens. Unless like the bird in this video the chicken flies. Air born all the odds are on the falcon. Falcons are bad news if you happen to be a pigeon.

Last edited:
Wow CG. Those are amazing pictures. The falcon is like a scythe. The victim never sees it coming. Falcon just slams into it, knifes it and rides it into the ground.... Falcons are amazing flyers. The Coopers used to eat my pigeons in a tree. I would find feathers in the wooded lot next door.

Even more amazing when you realize that a falcon is not much bigger (in the body) than your pigeons. Fastest animal on Earth too, maybe up to 250MPH plus in a stoop or dive. In the Middle East Arab princes have paid over a million dollars for just one good hunting falcon. One even owns a commercial jet liner so that he can tether his trained falcons on each seat back when a hunting he will go.

Falcons are also called "duck hawk" There is a video out there of a falcon dive bombing or buzzing a duck (or some other waterfowl) in a failed attempt to panic it into flying but the water bird was not that stupid.

That was what happened to the pigeons whose bands were found on that East German battle field. What ever ate them was perched in a tree.

If you'll notice again the falcon doesn't even start breaking until it is a foot or so from the houbard bustard.

Pity you can't train falcons to lay off you pigeons because they may have taken care of those pesky Coopers Hawks for you.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom